Electric netting height

I've only used the 48" so no direct comparison with the 42". If you are considering buying from Premiere1 I'd call them and chat with them. I've found them to be helpful when I called them.

While many predators "can" jump over a 48" fence, they generally don't. Whether they are dogs, coyote, foxes, raccoons, or anything else they practically always check out the fence first. Their fur insulates them from the electricity but their noses and the bottom of their feet are not fur covered or insulated. With electric netting the soil is your ground and the netting has hot wires. To complete the electric circuit the critter has to be touching the ground with their feet and touch a hot wire with their nose, tongue, or another foot. Practically any critter will check out the netting with nose or a climbing critter rears up and touches it with their front feet. Some people have been known to put some peanut butter on a hot wire to encourage licking.

If a critter gets zapped it immediately runs away. Some may only run a certain distance and my even go back for a second attempt (not a third) but most disappear in the distance. There is something satisfying in seeing a dog approach the netting, yelp and jump back, then disappear in the distance, never to return.

Most chickens can fly over a 48" high fence. Many predators can jump over a 48" high fence. But they generally don't.
Thanks RR, that is very helpful.

I've not had problems with any height.

Here's the gate I ordered:
gate.jpg

I find that the parts that go into the ground bend if I move them around a lot. I also prefer Starkline over Premier1 for my terrain. It's super hilly in my back property, and I find Starkline's posts are stiffer and easier to step in.

View attachment 3401341

I find that the parts that go into the ground bend if I move them around a lot. I also prefer Starkline over Premier1 for my terrain. It's super hilly in my back property, and I find Starkline's posts are stiffer and easier to step in.
Oooh. Where did you find that? Might be better for me than my sort of made up non-gate!

View attachment 3401341

Ignore my post I found it at Starkline. i am tempted!
One question - don’t your chickens fly up to the upper bar which is not ‘live’. I know they don’t fly onto the fence, but I can see my fliers hopping up on to that bar!

Ignore my post I found it at Starkline. i am tempted!
One question - don’t your chickens fly up to the upper bar which is not ‘live’. I know they don’t fly onto the fence, but I can see my fliers hopping up on to that bar!
Good question. I don't have one yet, but my whole yard is covered with aviary netting. I can't really say because I don't have the gates yet They make the one with handles, too:

https://www.premier1supplies.com/list.php?mode=list&criteria=NetGates

I would like to think that the birds won't try to jump on the gate once they've been zapped.
If they don't have a foot on a ground they would not get zapped when they jump on top of the gate.
The squirrels go through my premier one by jumping up through the larger squares.... some chicks follow

Back
Top Bottom