Electricity Needed for Out-Building - Need Suggestions!

Being in construction, and saving EVERYTHING, I uses 100 feet of PEX tubing as a conduit and the 10 gauge wire recycled from a well pump repair and ran that to the new coop. Both would have been in the dumpster/recycle pile if I hadn't saved them. I mounted a new waterproof junction box under the deck on the house, and ran a short section of 8-gauge extension cord (yup, from a jobsite) inside and have that plugged into an existing GFCI outlet in the basement. Trenched the whole thing underground using my backhoe. I bought a few junction boxes, outlets, lampholders, covers etc, and used a bunch of short sections of 12/2 (you guessed it....scrounged and saved), and my whole coop electrical system cost me MAYBE $30. Gotta save where I can, I'm down to working about 25 hrs a week.

We've decided to stick with the heavy-duty extension cord since that's the easiest and cheapest. We'll just run it along our clothesline, since we'll only be using it for the coldest months anyway. I went to TSC and saw the heated dog water bowl, but here's my next question: How on earth do you all make that work inside the coop?! It's wide open--how will it not end up full of feathers, poop, and who knows what else?

I prefer using the metal heating bases and regular 3 gallon waterers. After the initial cost of approx. 45.00 you have an easy,safe way to heat the water!

I bought my bases from Jeffers last year but you can also pick them up at a farm store. The directions say to use only metal waterers but I just use my plastic ones with no problems.

I've used the cookie tin water fount heater for the last two yrs, and it has worked great for me,(And the chickens). I built it for less than $5, I use a regular 40W bulb in it. The store bought one cost almost $50, and if that fine chinese engineered product breaks down, you are OUT $50. If the cookie tin craps out, just replace the cheap light bulb, and you are back in the anti-frozen water fount business. I ran two 100' extension cords out to power up the warmer, with no problems. This year, I have run electric out to the coop, the coop is in the 21st century now. See link below, and check out the amazing cookie tin water warmer.
Jack

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/107951/cookie-tin-water-heater

I found a heated hanging plastic 3 1/2 gallon waterer for 30 last year and it worked great., Ended up getting a second for my turkey pen. Will probably get more this year for my other pens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom