Electrolytes in a pinch

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
I was wondering about the merits of using Pedialyte/Gatorade or an electrolyte formula for other avian species if one can't get one's hands on a poultry-specific formula ASAP? I did see this helpful discussion about making one's own electrolytes, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=221676&p=2, but just wanted to know how people fared with Pedialyte, etc.? I have a girl with an impacted crop and want some electrolytes on hand while I started with the oil and bread treatment.

Thanks!!

I have used Pedialyte with success and will continue to do so for these reasons:
- It's readily available in an emergency. A fresh, uncontaminated supply is as close as my supermarket (which is open 24/7) and I don't have to do a thing except unscrew the cap.
- It's safe. Safe enough for the sick newborn baby or the 100 yr old grandma - safe enough for my chickens.
- The simple sugars in Pedialyte give a nutritional energy support to birds not eating without the harsh laxative effect of granulated sugar or Karo syrup. That's a side benefit in the course of hydrating and replacing lost electrolytes in a sick bird.
- It's not expensive.

If for some haywire reason I couldn't get Pedialyte, I'd be comfortable using Gatorade (even though the sugar content is higher and probably unnecessary).

Thank you, both!

MotherJean, I was just looking at the Pedialyte in the store and it says "Now with Zinc." To your (or anyone else's knowledge), would the zinc pose a problem for chickens?

Zinc is an essential mineral. I can't imagine it would have a detrimental effect on chickens. Zinc actually has antioxidant properties, aids in healing, and supports a healthy immune system. Zinc is often added to animal feeds. I don't have a bag of starter/grower with the ingredient list intact so I can check, but I'll bet zinc is listed there.

Back
Top Bottom