Electrolytes, it's what chickens crave...

Shifty Joe

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Bentonville Arkansas
So, needing some input on a possible Idiocracy move my part. I read that giving new born chicks a vitamin\\electrolyte mixture in their water would give them extra strength after shipping... so when I got my order of Corish X chicks, I mixed some in (unmeasured, just good size dash) into their quart water. That night I noticed they really really liked their water, to the exclusion of even food. What followed was several chicks going in to what I would call a seizure, kicking their heads back with their legs straight out... well, you get the idea. By morning 1/3 of the batch was dead or dying.

So, my question is would giving them to much vitamin\\electrolytes result in this or is it possible it was just a bad hatch\\shipping?
hmm.png
I had switched out the water to untreated once the first one started acting funny, so I'm hoping the other chicks might still be ok if that was the source.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
From back of Sav-A-Chick

Directions for use:
Mix 1 individual packet (approx. 0.25 ounces(7.09 grams) of dry powder) into 1 gallon of clean, cool water. Offer the mixed solution for 1 to 5 days during hot weather or other stress.

That is really a shame, man.

New to chickering myself and I can't say if the 'lytes did it, but I know 'lytes can affect humans adversely if given in big amounts. The little info I've read on supplements suggest adding 1/4 to 1/2 tsp to a quart of water, but it would all depend on what brand, etc, you use, and the state of the peep when you give it.

The hatchery I used just recommended a tsp of sugar to a quart of water the first day, then plain water. My peeps all looked good when they arrived albeit a little crowded and weary, and once they had warm sugar water and food, they cheered and recovered from their trip completely within hours.

Again, sorry for the loss. Hope the rest recover. I would try giving them wet food and plain water to flush any excess, prolly??

the stuff I had was called quick chick, you only use a teaspoon per gallon of water. If you put a good size dash in a quart, you may have OD'd them. I can't stress enogh if you use it, read the instructions close, it's east to give to much. Sorry to hear of you loss but I'm glad you brought up the topic so others who are getting ready to use it know to read the instructions and measure it properly.
sickbyc.gif

That is scary! I used Save-a-chick from TSC. My chicks weren't shipped, but just had a car ride. The directions on that said the whole package per gallon water. I used a pitcher I use for making juice etc. Just poured what I needed into their waterer. The rest is stored in my fridge. I give them one full waterer of the electrolytes every week. Mainly just to get rid of it so it isn't being wasted.

Quote:
I have never used the Save A Chick ones but generally its 1 package per gallon of stock solution which is then meant to be further diluted out.

Quote:
Ya, Durvet's V&E is what I used... I did read the directions, but used my own "red neck" math to gauge how much I needed. <.< ya... fail. As of right now, I've only lost one more chick. Figure after a full week, I should know the extent of the damage. Only saving grace is my local TSC is still having chick days and so I was able to pickup replacement chicks.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll spend a little more time and get wife's advice before I "help" any more new born chicks. Chicks dying after shipping is sad, but this.. not fun.

They were overdosed. I have never used electrolytes--think about it, it has salt. Overdosing on salt is bad for anyone. If I had my druthers, I'd rather you never use that vitamin/electrolyte packet unless you have a sick or overheated bird in summer and then a pinch in a gallon would do fine. For vitamins, you can use Avia Charge 2000 for a good avian vitamin/mineral supplement.

Back
Top Bottom