Electrolytes, it's what chickens crave...

Quote:
From back of Sav-A-Chick

Directions for use:
Mix 1 individual packet (approx. 0.25 ounces(7.09 grams) of dry powder) into 1 gallon of clean, cool water. Offer the mixed solution for 1 to 5 days during hot weather or other stress.

I went and got my packet of sav-a-chick too and was just gettig ready to post that!
cool.png

Nutrient label on the Duvet V and E indicates it's a significantly concentrated source of both vitamins and sodium. It would be unlikely their quick reaction was from the vitamins so I'm guessing hypernatremia from the excess sodium (which, by the way, triggered increased thirst which led to consumption of the only fluid source available; the highly concentrated sodium containing water).

Same thing happens (sometimes) with our elderly patients.

Gail

It's safe to use when diluted to the manufacture directions. The theory is that stress tends to deplete both sodium and potassium, two electrolytes that work together (one intracellular, one in the fluid outside the cells) to stimulate muscles (including the most important muscle, the heart).

Because the Durvet vitamin and electrolyte supplement can also be used on much larger livestock such as cattle and horses it's highly concentrated, and thus it's important to dilute it accurately, especially when providing it to such low weight animals as baby chicks.

Gail

I have found that gatoraid (they prefer red) works very well on distressed birds. When my 3lb roo was injured, I gave him about 2 tbs and he went from lying on his side to running around and eating. I think the sugar combined with the electrolytes gives a nice boost in just a few minutes. I also mix a little in my big BO's water when he shows signs of overheating (we often have days in the upper 90's).

ALWAYS read the directions- especially for electrolytes. You can kill chicks- as well as human babies if they are off. I only use an 1/8th of a teaspoon for mine (per quart of water) Remember, chicks are very small; it only takes a little change to do them in. :)

I looked at Save-a -Chick at one feed store and then ultimately decided to use Nutri-Drench and add sugar to that water solution. Now that they have been in the brooder for a little over 24 hours, I will start cutting back on the nutri-drench and sugar until we are on pure water.

Back
Top Bottom