Eleven week old Mystic Onyx - Rooster or Hen?

Badger Farm

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
NW Wisconsin
Our Mystic Onyx, Gracie, has been exhibiting some dominating behaviors (chest bumping and flailing out her head and neck feathers), at another hen. From her feather coloration, I’m suspecting she may be a cockerel. Any ideas if she’s actually a Cash or Elvis? She was the most curious chick from the first day, and seems to be the leader. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9582.jpeg
    IMG_9582.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9590.jpeg
    IMG_9590.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9591.jpeg
    IMG_9591.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9592.jpeg
    IMG_9592.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9593.jpeg
    IMG_9593.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 65
Our Mystic Onyx, Gracie, has been exhibiting some dominating behaviors (chest bumping and flailing out her head and neck feathers), at another hen.
That is fairly common as chicks are growing up, no matter what gender they are.

From her feather coloration, I’m suspecting she may be a cockerel. Any ideas if she’s actually a Cash or Elvis? She was the most curious chick from the first day, and seems to be the leader. Thank you!
Given the size of the comb and wattles at age 11 weeks, I think "Gracie" is probably a male.

Our Mystic Onyx, Gracie, has been exhibiting some dominating behaviors (chest bumping and flailing out her head and neck feathers), at another hen. From her feather coloration, I’m suspecting she may be a cockerel. Any ideas if she’s actually a Cash or Elvis? She was the most curious chick from the first day, and seems to be the leader. Thank you!
I see pointy mantle feathers and curved tail feathers. I think I see saddle feathers.

I agree. Looks like a roo.

Can you get a close up of the tail and saddle feathers? That will help us to be sure.
She sure looks like a feathered reptile in the first pic! Haven’t heard any crowing from her. Yet.

Attachments

• IMG_9599.jpeg
    IMG_9599.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9598.jpeg
    IMG_9598.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9597.jpeg
    IMG_9597.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 58

Back
Top Bottom