Elliott pheasants?

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
Ok so a person, has a pair of Elliott pheasants for sale i have not asked the price yet. but what is the average price of a pair. Last year i looked into getting a pair or trio of red golden pheasants.Is there much different care between a elliott and red golden. And how cold hardy are they, as i live in NS, thecoldest it ever gets is -33 for 2-3 days a year in the winter, most days it's -13 - -15 so would they be able to with stand these temps?

yes they are cold hardy but would be a good idea to have them a good shelter to get in out of the elements but other than that they should do fine. what age are the birds? a young pair usally goes for 60 to 90 a pair maybe 125 tro but older birds are more
they are no different than goldens in care except they tend to be wilder than goldens and you need to have plenty of things for the hen to get under and perches she can fly to, to get away from the male as they can get fresky during breeding season and potintial killing the hen

ha, didnt notice that myself at first!
Yes though, I know of several breeders in Canada and they generally run them about the same as what we do here in the States, at least the last I saw any advertised theyw ere, been a year or two....

How's your collection coming?

it going alright now but about two weeks back i had my tem male and imp male drop dead on me they were fine that morning and dead by three
they were in good weght and acted fine i think heat may have contributed but i gave my hens to my friend in TN on breeder loan but i have recently added white peafowl and and purple peas to my list of critters and javas hopfully in oct

and as a side note the palawans are doing great they both are like pets eat right from my hand especally peanuts and mealworms and the male will sometimes get on my shoulder for mealworms they are truely wonderful birds so glad i got them

how is yours coming

Last edited:
Yep Charliet,
Those two species can be heat sensitive at times, especially the impeyans (being from the Himalayas) The tragopans can be, but usually not too bad, have heard of some people loosing them to the heat, but if shaded they usually do pretty well here.

Havent got a start on getting all mine back yet, getting ready to build a lot of pens over the winter. Like I was telling Quail's Holler, I plan on doing them at about 10 wide x 25 deep with an aditional 8 feet of shelter on the back, and full closable houses on the ones for the peacock pheasants for the winter.
Hopefully, if things go my way, will start getting them back next year...Lord willing that is...
I always like to have everything ready before getting stuff like them, and money and doctor bills (heart problems, at 35) killed my bird funds for the year, made me sick.
But no rush
Keep us posted on what all you have
See yall both
Aubrey

oh Quail's Hollar

I'll check around for you on the geese. Dont know anyone near us with them anymore, but know several out of state breeders with them.
Will see what I can come up with local for you

Back
Top Bottom