Elusive Mites??

Krisitne

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2016
British Columbia
Good morning
I’ve had an issue with my flock for awhile now. They constantly shake their heads. It’s like a quick shake, say, like you would to shake your hair out of your eyes. They also constantly scratch their heads. They have lost feathers ALL summer, like they are molting. They have a good diet and also free range around my yard daily. I’ve taken one to the vet to check over and they found nothing in their ears, no mites or lice or skin issues. Fecal samples show no worms or other issues. I’ve treated the coop and flock with permethrin, twice, a week apart, thinking maybe I was missing a mite issue. This summer I also treated them all with pour on Ivermectin. My flock is Silkies but I have two Cochins. Both of them have a couple little black spots on their combs. I read that this can be a sign of mites. Also a sign of pox but they don’t have that. The black spots are tiny. One of my birds was scratching more than usual, fluffing up and standing in the corner yesterday. At first I thought of coccidia but I just had a fecal sample done for that. So I dusted her with permethrin and she was better after that. She started scratching and acting like a chicken again. Well, yesterday I purchased permethrin foggers for the coop. The coop needs to be closed for two hours after the fogging, and hen aired out. My flock is outside, roaming all day anyhow. I was planning on fogging the coop today but a storm has blown in. I’ve read that it can be the only way to eradicate them, as they hide in all the cracks and crevices. My thought is that maybe I AM missing mites after all. Red mites? Feather mites? Idk! They can be so elusive. I looked everywhere for them with my flashlight last night in the coop but still. I’m in Canada and permethrin and pyrethrin are pretty much the only products available here. Sorry for the long post. Just wanting to be thorough in what my treatment plan has been for my poor itchy flock. I am just at my WITS END! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
The spray I have used for the coop is Bronco fly spray, containing Permethrin. When I dusted the birds, it was with Doktor Doom garden powder, containing Pyrethrin. And the fogger is Doktor Doom Total Release Fogger, containing 0.4% Pyrethrin. In Canada, we have to use these kind of products, as the only thing they really promote for mites and lice is Diatamaceous Earth...which, personal opinion...I don’t believe works.

Attachments

• E82A43CC-E5DE-4C15-BD55-20AF8B9376B0.jpeg
    E82A43CC-E5DE-4C15-BD55-20AF8B9376B0.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 9
Well I was just looking at another bird and a feather came off of her. I took the feather and looked at it with my pocket microscope. I MAY have seen clear looking eggs on the base of the feather. Are there eggs that tiny? I’m go in to have to go look at a couple more feathers. I know that I just want to see something so badly so that I can put a face to this invisible problem.

The Bronco spray is 0.05% Pyrethrin and 0.10% Permethrin. Just spray that around the coop when the birds are out and the bedding is cleaned out. Let is set and then air out. As far as the fogger, I haven’t used it yet but you would remove the birds, clean bedding and everything out. Then you just push the tab down and set it on the floor. Close the coop up for 2 hours and then open it and air it out before letting the birds back in. It will then get into all the cracks and crevices that is needed for hose nasty mites.

I’ve just been thoroughly looking at more feathers with my microscope those specs I thought might be eggs are just skin flecks. It’s so frustrating. I’ve had chickens for decades and have never had an issue like this. It makes me almost not want birds anymore. All I do is clean coops, dust birds, on and on. The money I’ve paid the vet. Which would be fine except that I never get answers. My chickens are obviously uncomfortable. They won’t go into the coop at night. I have to lock them in every night. Which would usually mean mites...but I can’t find mites anywhere. Sucks

I’ve dusted them all with the Doktor Doom 0.2% pyrethrin powder once a week for the past two weeks. I was going to do it again but I just think the two treatments should have gotten anything that was on them? That’s why I’m thinking maybe it’s mites and they are coming out of their hiding spots at night.
Could it be vitamin deficiency? I don’t know how though, with their diet. At a total loss...

Back
Top Bottom