1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emaciated - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Oct 27, 2013.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i need some brainstorming, over the last year or so i have lost birds to a 'wasting away', wormed, drops for mites, treated for cocci- not breed specific, latest was tiffany one of my silkies- any suggestions?? its just heartbreaking!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure. Worms would have been my first guess. Another possiblity could be Marek's Disease. It can cause a wide array of symptoms, including wasting away.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i am totally frustrated - i am scouring the web to find answers, i have lost way too many

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Describe symptoms. Any discharge from eyes/nostrils,diarrhea,sneezing/coughing,not eating/drinking. What are their ages? When you treated for cocci,what was the dose you used? Any issues with their crops,meaning full during day and empty over night. How was their poop?

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, it is not a rapid moving illness, gradually getting thinner, some cases bright green poo, others dark green, no respiratory symptoms, eventually huddling and cold- corrid 1 t per gallon, when that didn't work, moved to baycox- most cases they eat fine until they are too weak to stand, i have done force feedings, doesn't seem to make a difference

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days,no vitamins can be given during treatment,and this has to be the only source of drinking water. Green poop is from not eating.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    so i have been under dosing! [​IMG]

will go change that right away! these are adult birds

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Adult birds can still have an overload/outbreak of cocci. Also which worm meds did you use as not all worming medication kills all types of worms.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by