Embarrassing Early Pics with your Chicks

Daddyfeathers

Chirping
Sep 4, 2023
Hardy,Ar
Ok I'll start. Oh Boy I usually don't do this.
Thats Ruby Sue my Wife named her. Shes the 1st one at the gate every morning. Think we figured out shes a olive egger?
Resized_20231022_082301.jpeg

Obviously you love your featherbabies, DF, so ... a word to the wise from someone who learned the hard way ... chicken wire is not designed to keep predators out of your chicken run, although it will keep your babies IN. It's a good idea to put hardware cloth up from the ground to about 4' high, and also to secure it on the ground around the pen to discourage critters from digging under.

How many chickens do you have (so far)? Has anyone warned you about the dangers of a dread disorder commonly known as :eek: (oh no!) CHICKEN MATH??? It is so insidious and common that new chicken owners are commonly advised to go ahead and design and build for twice as many chickens (at LEAST!) as they plan to own.

You've been warned! :lau
:welcome

Obviously you love your featherbabies, DF, so ... a word to the wise from someone who learned the hard way ... chicken wire is not designed to keep predators out of your chicken run, although it will keep your babies IN. It's a good idea to put hardware cloth up from the ground to about 4' high, and also to secure it on the ground around the pen to discourage critters from digging under.

How many chickens do you have (so far)? Has anyone warned you about the dangers of a dread disorder commonly known as :eek: (oh no!) CHICKEN MATH??? It is so insidious and common that new chicken owners are commonly advised to go ahead and design and build for twice as many chickens (at LEAST!) as they plan to own.

You've been warned! :lau
:welcome
Thanks for the advice. Will take it on the mesh. As far as digging I have 12 inches of wire at the bottom with Sacrete over that. And netting over top. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom