Embarrassing>>ringworm! how do you get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bwebb7, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    My dog had 2 surgeries in the last 6 weeks-bowel obstruction.
    He was very sick when I got him in and I suppose his immunities were down. Anyway he had TERRIBLE RINGWORM! When they shaved his belly the vet was aghast! She really wanted to ring my neck!
    I take good care of him! He has a Major win already and a few singles. He is a nice dog!
    I am shocked and embarassed. I had surgery a few weeks ago too. My sister took care of my dog after I had surgery and we both thought it was going away. I put stuff on him (MTG) and she bathed him with sulfer shampoo.

What else can I do?

Does anyone have a home remedy?

TIA,B.

2. lou

lou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Moose Jaw
    I never used medication oon ringworm just crest toothpaste. It works. I also used it on my horse. Then add vitamin A D and E to help the skin heal. I hope it helps.[​IMG] You might want to clean his sleeping space with a good strong cleaner as well. Ringworm can lay dormant for a long time until it hits the right temperature.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I know on humans I have used stuff for athletes foot and vagasil. I'm sure it will help on dogs since i got that remedy from my sister n law the vet tech.

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't be embarrased about it, that's for sure. Ringworm is not a worm at all, but a fungal infection.
    Fungal infections happen, no matter how clean you keep your own place. Having one stray cat come in and use your yard as a toilet or having your dog in contact with other dogs is enough.
    I grew up part time in south florida, warm moist enviroment. I think all of us kids had ringworm at one time or another; not to mention impetigo.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. [​IMG]

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Scrub betadine into the area a couple of times a day for a few days, works every time.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Genetian Violet kills fungus.

It's the stuff that makes Blue-Kote "blue"

it's also in Pad Kote (by Happy Jacks) which I used on my dog when she had ringworm

or you can get it plain for humans at some pharmacies - it's safe stuff you can use it for thrush on mamma's nipples.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Scrub betadine into the area a couple of times a day for a few days, works every time.

10. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    listerine also works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by