Embarrassing>>ringworm! how do you get rid of it?

bwebb7

Songster
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Brooksville, Fl
My dog had 2 surgeries in the last 6 weeks-bowel obstruction.
He was very sick when I got him in and I suppose his immunities were down. Anyway he had TERRIBLE RINGWORM! When they shaved his belly the vet was aghast! She really wanted to ring my neck!
I take good care of him! He has a Major win already and a few singles. He is a nice dog!
I am shocked and embarassed. I had surgery a few weeks ago too. My sister took care of my dog after I had surgery and we both thought it was going away. I put stuff on him (MTG) and she bathed him with sulfer shampoo.

What else can I do?

Does anyone have a home remedy?

TIA,B.

I never used medication oon ringworm just crest toothpaste. It works. I also used it on my horse. Then add vitamin A D and E to help the skin heal. I hope it helps.
smile.png
You might want to clean his sleeping space with a good strong cleaner as well. Ringworm can lay dormant for a long time until it hits the right temperature.

Last edited:
I know on humans I have used stuff for athletes foot and vagasil. I'm sure it will help on dogs since i got that remedy from my sister n law the vet tech.

I wouldn't be embarrased about it, that's for sure. Ringworm is not a worm at all, but a fungal infection.
Fungal infections happen, no matter how clean you keep your own place. Having one stray cat come in and use your yard as a toilet or having your dog in contact with other dogs is enough.
I grew up part time in south florida, warm moist enviroment. I think all of us kids had ringworm at one time or another; not to mention impetigo.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
hugs.gif

Genetian Violet kills fungus.

It's the stuff that makes Blue-Kote "blue"

it's also in Pad Kote (by Happy Jacks) which I used on my dog when she had ringworm

or you can get it plain for humans at some pharmacies - it's safe stuff you can use it for thrush on mamma's nipples.

Back
Top Bottom