Embden goose question (central Florida)

charlindabob

Songster
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
central Florida
Hello, I am a "New Egg" in this forum and admittedly slightly cracked and no where near as fresh as I used to be. I do have a question: What (if any) is the difference between "Giant" Embdens and "regular" Embdens? I have been told that they are one and the same and that yes there is a difference. So I still don't know. I saw a couple of Embdens last year at a poultry show in Inverness, Florida that were about 4' tall and the most beautiful white geese I've ever seen. Wish I'd made contact with the exhibitor. Now, by asking my question, you all know that I know very little about geese and you would be most correct. Now Red Golden pheasants, Mandarin ducks and ringneck doves I do know a little bit about, but not geese and especially nothing about Embdens. Somebody please enlighten me by telling me if there is a difference and how to go about finding the giant or larger Embden goose breeder if indeed there is such a thing. I posed this question on another thread (the wrong one) and somebody did answer and their answer was removed, so I am back to square one. I am interested in purchasing half a dozen or so fertile eggs and if there be a difference, I want the larger breed of Emdens. OK, hope I wasn't too long winded.... please feel free to email or pm me if you wish.

You can get those giant white embdens at Holderread's Waterfowl. They are quite pricey, but yes they are huge. I have a feeling there is a waiting list so if you want some this year it is best to call and see what your chances are. The giants are for showing.

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

The regular embdens are production birds used for meat and you can get them at some of the chicken hatcheries. I have 4 from Mc Murray and they are not that big and they are mean!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom