Embden vs Pilgrim

Lizmom

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2020
Embden is the most commonly grown good in the U.S. But it appears that Pilgrims have all the same good characteristics, plus it's easy to distinguish gender only in Pilgrims.

I haven't determined what Embden geese have over Pilgrims. Can anyone advise me.

I have Buffs, so I can't comment on the specific breeds you're interested in, but all else being equal, I'd just go with the breed that visually appeals to you the most.

If you're interested in raising geese, you might enjoy the definitive work on the subject, Dave Holderread's The Book of Geese. I got it from Metzer Farms.

Embden is the most commonly grown good in the U.S. But it appears that Pilgrims have all the same good characteristics, plus it's easy to distinguish gender only in Pilgrims.

I haven't determined what Embden geese have over Pilgrims. Can anyone advise me.
As for why Embdens are more popular, I think it could be more a matter of availability. Last year when I was buying geese, I had trouble sourcing Pilgrims.

As for why Embdens are more popular, I think it could be more a matter of availability. Last year when I was buying geese, I had trouble sourcing Pilgrims.
Metzers sells both, but I don't know how many they have of each one available. Of course, there could be more Embden available because they're more popular and there might be higher demand for them. Do you know any characteristics of the Embdens that make them superior to Pilgrims.

No. From my reading they both sound like an excellent choice. If I were buying one of them, assuming both are available, I'd go for the Pilgrims. I like the color & the auto-sexing.

However I now have a LOT of geese. Sixteen, counting my original four, and I could have three times that if I wanted. It will be cramped in the freezers. I hope I like goose!

Metger says that Embden are abundant in supply and Pilgrims are threatened. They charge $11.88 for 30 or more straight run Embdens and $18.66 for the same in Pilgrims. They also caution that they only get a 60% fertility rate in Pilgrim eggs, while Embden are 80% fertile.

Metger says that Embden are abundant in supply and Pilgrims are threatened. They charge $11.88 for 30 or more straight run Embdens and $18.66 for the same in Pilgrims. They also caution that they only get a 60% fertility rate in Pilgrim eggs, while Embden are 80% fertile.
Seriously? Wow. I wonder why, whether that could have something to do with hatchery conditions? I kid you not; I had 100% on my buffs--the eggs I set, anyway, then I only lost a very few during incubation. And this was their first breeding season. I didn't start setting them until I saw targets, but still...

I did keep a kiddy pool full and un-frozen for them, even though they're a medium-weight breed and aren't supposed to need water in order to breed. Geese seem alarmingly fertile in any case. (Consider the Canadas!) I'll bet six of four eggs starting would quickly give you way more geese than you really want (unless you're thinking of going into the goose business).

What's your goal in raising geese? I just wanted a few around because, guard geese. 🤣 Well they do make a fuss at everything and anything. I started with a gander and three geese. Now I have sixteen and could easily have hatched many times that. Here are most of them, though at present it's becoming harder to tell the littles from the bigs.
1F989795-CCD9-4ECC-9203-4512E18B4532.jpeg

You also need to consider land. If you're thinking a LOT of geese, you're gonna also have a lot of poop. I'm considering fencing off an area especially for them (including our nascent orchard) just to keep them away from the house. They seem to prefer lounging on the doorsteps to just about anywhere else, incl. the pond. All the other birds free range and I hate to restrict the geese, but wow! :lau

I have raised all three (Embden, Pilgrim and Buff). Embden are OK but I found that they weren't the most competent setters. They started laying early, over a prolonged period, and by the time they actually got broody the eggs were usually no longer viable. When they did hatch, they made fine mothers, but because of that prolonged laying period and slowness in getting broody they rarely did. Buffs and Pilgrims on the other hand got right down to business and most years I ended up with more goslings than I could handle! Which is where the autosexing feature of the Pilgrims is nice. When you want to sell the excess goslings, it's easier if you know what sex they are because many folks want pairs, trios, etc. To me, paying the extra bucks for a pair of Pilgrims or Buffs is worth it. Metzer Farms is great about that. And if you don't want to pay the small order fee and are raising the birds for meat anyway, fill the rest of your order with straight run Embdens or maybe ducks. If you get Pilgrims, you will be able to tell your Pilgrim gander from the Embdens because the Pilgrim gander will have some gray feathers, usually in the wings but maybe elsewhere as well.

I want to raise duck eggs for Farm Market. (Decided on F1 hybrid White Layers because Khaki Campbells are so shy. Unfortunately, you can't breed F1s true yourself, but I still prefer them.) I thought two female geese would be a help to warn about predators. Then I really got interested in geese themselves. Now I want a small flock of geese for the few eggs they produce. Also, for Christmas goose. Having lived in Europe a year in college, I know the extreme value of duck and goose fat in cooking. (Now I pay $13 for a small jar at Whole Foods.)

I think I've eliminated the Embdens. Advice on this site has been great! I also found a video where someone said that he saw an embden tough enough that it held its own against a fox. I have enough trouble trying to take my dog to a park where there are Canadian geese. I don't want a tough, mean Goose on my place.

Now, advice from some of you on this site has given me another question. Maybe I should consider Buff instead. According to Metzers, Buff are a little larger than Pilgrims and possibly lay a few more eggs. Among the breeds that Metzer sells, those two are the only ones that they label as "very calm".

In relation to the fertility problem, you might be right that Metzer may not be breeding in water. I saw on one of their videos, that they water at least some of their birds only with nipples. They state the average fertility of Buff eggs is 65%. That's certainly contrasts with Cindy's experience.

I'm looking at a large farm. Each flock would have either three or four different pastured fenced, and the birds would be rotated between

the pastures, like you do with horses. In months when they aren't being used for the birds, fields will be planted with grains and vegetables to feed the flock when they are in that pasture the next time.

Back
Top Bottom