Embryo development!!!!!

TNchickies

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2013
I need help!!!!!! Please! this is my first go at chicken raising, and my hens just started laying but a couple months ago.

Here's my problem: I went on a vacation for a few days, and had someone over to take care of the chickens. Well, the day i got home, my brothers went out and checked for eggs. They got the few they could, but said that Rose, my RIR, (rhode island red), was laying on one. It is getting cold here, and i cannot handle another chick. I know the egg is fertile because i have a rooster that has been mating with her. I got the egg from under her, which was very warm, and put it in the fridge.

The problem is that i don't know how long she had been sitting on it, or how long since it was laid.

I would like to know how long it takes for an embryo to form. At what point is the fertile egg alive? at 44 hours when the heart starts beating????? I DO NOT want to kill a baby!!!!!! I would love some advice. Thanks!!!!!
roll.png

You have to Candle the egg. If you see veins then there is a baby chick forming inside and you would kill it if you put it in the fridge. If you cant see anything but a plain reddish colour than the egg is either infertile or the chick hasn't started to develop yet. If you do however see veins, you would have to find a plan of what to do with it.

You have to Candle the egg. If you see veins then there is a baby chick forming inside and you would kill it if you put it in the fridge. If you cant see anything but a plain reddish colour than the egg is either infertile or the chick hasn't started to develop yet. If you do however see veins, you would have to find a plan of what to do with it.

X2

If there was anything growing in it you've already killed it by putting it in the fridge (sorry for being so blunt) I, personally, would just throw the egg away. Good luck with whatever you do.

Thanks.
smile.png
I hope to find the eggs a little sooner next time! it's my first time raising chickens, and it has been quite an adventure!
roll.png

My first time also! Lol My worst problem has been predators but I've gotten them under control.

iv'e had the predator problem too. i used to have a couple of turkeys....but there was also an owl around. poor things...
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom