Embryo health

dones7

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
In cold weather after the hen lays an egg how long do I have to put it in an incubator before it dies?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Eggs are best collected for up to 7 days before being set in the incubator. Eggs can and do hatch after being more than a week old but for better hatch results it's best the eggs are not older than 7 days. The quality can start to diminish after the 7 days. Have you checked out "Hatching eggs 101"? Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
It has lots of fabulous information on incubating and hatching including egg collection and storage.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

You already have top advice so I'll just say hi and a warm welcome to BYC.

Ct

Yes I understand the 7 day rule however I think that only applies in warm weather

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

If transporting fertile eggs shoot I incubate the eggs until I leave or should I just keep them at room temperature?

In cold weather after the hen lays an egg how long do I have to put it in an incubator before it dies?
Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I never incubate egg when it's cold. Once I get a weeks worth of weather that is mild, like 48 degrees or above. That's just me though.

If transporting fertile eggs shoot I incubate the eggs until I leave or should I just keep them at room temperature?
It's best to just keep in storage until you can stick around or someone incubate eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom