Emergancy!!!!! Need Help! Sick Girls

Jculpepper

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
Good Morning,

So this week on Wednesday one of my girls started weesing and coughing. I went to the feed store and they told me to give the flock poltry cell and Duramycin - 10 (tetracycline). The antibotic is mixed into their water once a day for 6 days. This was started on Wed. The chicken that was originally sick is doing great, however yesterday I noticed a different hen acting very tired and not interested in doing anything. Now today there are 2 acting like this :( Everyone else is free ranging and they are just sleeping. 2 other chickens are free ranging but one eye is closed. Of the 4 acting like this none are weesing or apper to be having breathing trouble and no discharge from nose or eyes. I am at a total loss and there is not a chicken vet here. My girls are pets and spoiled rotten.

Any helpp would be great!

Jolie

Last edited:
Ok, so now I am seeing runny noses :( I don't know what else to do! Am I going to loose my flock?

I just dealt with this recently. I got some chick grower (high protein) and vitamin /electrolyte powder to mix in their water. Everyone was fine within 2 days except for one girl, who was breathing really rough and got an eye infection. I separated her and treated her with essential oils, and she's on the mend.

You might also consider giving them probiotics as soon as you stop the tetracycline. Don't give them both at the same time as they will conflict with each other. Probiotics will help naturally boost the immune system by providing a dietary source of "good" bacteria, since the tetracycline kills both good and bad bacteria.

Though I have learned a lot about probiotics in general in the last several years, I am certainly no expert when it comes to kind and dosages of probiotics to use after antibiotic use. I would think that ANY kind in ANY amount of probiotics will be helpful, but I wouldn't give massive amounts right away. Some probiotic sources:

* "Sav a Chik" brand probiotics, meant specifically for poultry, found at feed stores
* Yogurt, kefir or even sourdough bread starter

Good luck to you and your birds!

2 of the girls are not eating or drinking anything :( one of the other girls that is looking bad is at least eating a little. What else can I do now to help the 2 that are realy bad off and what can I do for all the others to keep them form getting like that?

I feel so helpless :( :( :(

Thank you!

So, I read some other post and so I stoped the other meds and started Tylan 50 this evening. Gave every bird 1/2 cc. That stuff is hard to find! I am hoping some of them will start feeling better soon!

I do have one more question right now. Do I give them 1/2 cc 2x a day or once a day? I am giving them shots and not orraly! I accidently got a taste in my mouth and that stuff is nasty!!!!!!

With Tylan 50, you can give 0.2 ml per pound twice a day. You could give the injection once a day and then give the second dose orally.

Tk you for the reply! Started the tylan yesterday evening and gave it again this morning. Some of the girls are still listless and not eating or drinking, but everyone else seems to be doing good even though they sound horrible. Not sure what else to do for the ones that are not eating or drinking except pray :( I wish there was a vet here!

So I mixed their dry pellets with water and yogart and made mush! After a bit of prompting they all ate a decent amount and drank!!!!!! Over the moon happy! Don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I feel better knowing they have something in them!

Back
Top Bottom