Emergency! Beak incision

Whenever I had chicken wire covering my coop walls for protection, I'd get this. Seems they like to put their heads through to get grass and what not but since the chicken wire was too small, they'd just end getting scraped on up the top parts. I use colloidal silver to disinfect every few hours if I'm not going to cover it. Otherwise I use a colloidal silver bandage with triple antibiotic ointment and possibly wrap up the beak unless she's eating.
I think that’s what she did, snagged herself on the fence.

That's rough. I ended up just making a big enclosed nest for them in the back yard. I only have 2 atm and they're more like house geese anyways. Geese get so attached. I think a big part of it on my end was her just wanting to get out and be close to us.

That's rough. I ended up just making a big enclosed nest for them in the back yard. I only have 2 atm and they're more like house geese anyways. Geese get so attached. I think a big part of it on my end was her just wanting to get out and be close to us.
Geese are such sweetpeas! All they want is to be near those they love. I think my little girl was trying to reach a carrot that fell on the wrong side of the fence, I found some blood smeared on the metal, poor thing!

Awww well I'm glad you found the cause. The big thing now is trying to keep it clean. Mine will go for water asap and get whatever I put on, off so I put it on after they've drank a bit and isolate them. Such children!

Update on Dandelion.

A few days after posting this I realized that her wound was open to the inside of her mouth, it was a small opening but that still wasn’t good. I started putting a little apple cider vinegar in her water to keep it as clean as possible. After a few more days it looked like the hole had sealed itself.
I took this yesterday, the wound is nearly healed.

Attachments

• F7F7D024-8C69-413F-897C-82DF6E8EF2B9.jpeg
    F7F7D024-8C69-413F-897C-82DF6E8EF2B9.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 3
If you have colloidal silver, you can use a dropper or spray it in her mouth. It will disinfect it, although briefly. The mouth is a dirt place. I use 2000ppm I get from amazon and mix it at a rate of 2 drops per cup.

Back
Top Bottom