Emergency! Broken bill! *update, it's fine now*

Quote:
The injury happened because they're not in their typical home. An accident happened with the duck coop and they had to be moved to the chicken coop. I think he got his bill stuck in the chicken wire on the sides (double wall with chain link on inside, chicken wire outside) or got trampled on by other birds.

He seems to be okay so far, just a little worried about him. We've been rinsing his bill with a saline solution and then applying a disinfectant and keeping pressure with gauze.

He is sleeping in one of the crates right now. The bill hasn't bled since this morning, so hoping that is a good sign.

He has been drinking (water with a small amount of Duramycin-10 and Vitamins/Electrolytes), but hasn't eaten anything (made a special meal for him)....

Good luck with him, good to see he is drinking but I could imagine that eating might cause him a bit more pain. I hope he heals quickly and can go back to living a normal duckie life soon.

I had a adult drake get his bill caught in a palling fence a few years ago . I was in quite a panic at first due to the fact that it seemed to keep bleeding for so long. I kept him inside - clean and quiet for a few days. His beak took a little while to heal completely and he always had a little ridge across his beak. But he went on to live a normal life. I also had a duck break off the tip of its break- that was even more traumatic for me to see- as the bleeding didnt stop completely for two days.

i have a drake who got his bill stuck in the bathtub faucett. i was completely freaking out and crying because he's my baby! it sdidn't stop bleeding for awhile and i was soooo scared.. i just kept whiping the blood off and it healed. he's got what looks like a scar, but his bill is completely back to normal. i did give him water with electrolites.

i hope your duckies bill heals. i'm sure it will heal!!

give him cuddles for me
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Right now the duckling is sleeping, but it sounds like he is having some trouble breathing. Can this be from his bill being cracked in half?

He is healthy, no signs of illness, just not wanting to eat right now.

Just a thought but Super-glue is your friend, works on beaks, bills, turtle shells and people! The stuff we use in the ER to glue people together is just glorified sterile super glue. I put a turtle back together with superglue and strapping tape once. It did great! Good luck with your baby
hugs.gif

I've seen a Timneh Grey parrot that had its bill bitten pretty badly by a Cockatoo, and as far as I know, they stopped the bleeding and started it on antibiotics. What kind, I don't know...sorry to not be a bigger help, but thought I would tell what I have seen because I don't like to see people get "taken to the cleaners"!

Oh gee that looks aweful, must be very sore too, make sure that he eats before to long, otherwise might get to weak. I have a special needs duck named Putka (croation for duck). One day 3 years ago she came back from the lake with the top mandible snapped off just below the nostrils, I completely freaked out! She was hand raised on her own in the duckling stage and lucky for that, if it had been one of the others it would have been alot harder. Anyway rang heaps of vets for advice and most said the best solution was eauthenasing her! I did'nt know what to do, It was heart wrenching to watch her try to eat, she became very depressed and didn't do much for about 2 months, during this time I had to force feed her, and I started questioning her quality of life, until one day she learnt to take food from my fingers if I placed it in front of the break, then in another 2 weeks she learnt to shovel her food down with her bottom mandible! (grain and pellets only) When she is laying and molting extra protien, greens and calcium are given by hand every night, and 3 times a week at all other times. Anyway she is a happy healthy duck and has hatched ducklings and fostered Guinea keets, So the moral is don't give up as they really can adapt..... your boys beak is still there so depending on how it heals will determine how "special needs" he will be. Good luck and keep us posted
smile.png

48408_putka_looking_after_her_adopted_babies.jpg

This is her.... a true survivor!

Back
Top Bottom