Emergency!!! Can’t tell if she is egg bound?? Warning: picture of chicken vent

Hanusaur

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
I found her acting weird in the side yard. Looks like she’s trying to lay an egg. I moved her to the coop initially, hoping she would lay there. But she moved all the way back to the side yard and back to the same spot you can see in the picture. She had energy this morning, but her general mannerisms are becoming more lethargic and she seems very uncomfortable. I gently felt around the sides of her vent, but I’m not sure what a bound egg feels like. Currently she is isolated in a dark and comfortable dog crate. She has water with a tiny bit of noutridrench for vitamins & calcium. But she hasn’t drank any of it on her own. I’m thinking of gently feeding her some water with an eye dropper.
There’s also this white thing coming out of her vent, and I have no idea what it is (pictured). Please help!!! What is wrong with her & what should I do?

edit: poultry noutridrench is the only thing I have on hand to add vitamins and calcium to her water, should I go get her something else? My local feed store closes soon 😭

Attachments

• 5A4B334E-5BA7-4C6B-AF8C-A9AAEDF1E781.jpeg
    5A4B334E-5BA7-4C6B-AF8C-A9AAEDF1E781.jpeg
    882 KB · Views: 391
  • 0D291D95-5573-4C1B-A39C-6145977E45F5.jpeg
    0D291D95-5573-4C1B-A39C-6145977E45F5.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 13D68295-D15A-4637-AEE8-77315A4ABCB4.jpeg
    13D68295-D15A-4637-AEE8-77315A4ABCB4.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 87D38B5C-08F8-439D-9DF5-8B97420D3973.jpeg
    87D38B5C-08F8-439D-9DF5-8B97420D3973.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 247
That looks like an odd soft shell egg, possibly a lash egg.
I would give her a 500 mg calcium citrate twice a day to help with the contractions.
Right after I read your comment, I checked on her and yeah she passed what looks like a very soft and squishy egg. Looks like a deflated balloon. And she seems happier now.
My husband just ran to the feed store, I will tell him to see if they have that in stock.

edit: she is acting more like herself now that she passed the egg, well, deflated balloon. She very adamantly wants to get out of the crate now. Should she be monitored over night or after I give her a bit more TLC perhaps she can go back to her coop for the night?

Last edited:
Right after I read your comment, I checked on her and yeah she passed what looks like a very soft and squishy egg. Looks like a deflated balloon. And she seems happier now.
My husband just ran to the feed store, I will tell him to see if they have that in stock.

edit: she is acting more like herself now that she passed the egg, well, deflated balloon. She very adamantly wants to get out of the crate now. Should she be monitored over night or after I give her a bit more TLC perhaps she can go back to her coop for the night?
Let her go back to the flock.
Calcium citrate is a human supplement and you can get at Walmart or any pharmacy. I would give her a tablet a day for a week.

Definitely up her calcium for a while and see if the eggs sort themselves out.

Egg binding can actually happen due to a lack of calcium as it is needed for muscle contractions too. I'd recommend getting some liquid calcium with vitamin d for your chicken first aid kit. If you suspect egg binding, direct dose with liquid calcium and put them in a warm dark quiet place where they can relax and get the job done. If they're used to baths, an Epson salt soak can help too a d they may just lay in the bath.

A few ways to 'know' if it's a stuck egg, feel 'squish' their abdomen to check for an egg. Compare with a healthy hen if you're unsure what is and isn't normal. Often, I find they'll do 'the breeding squat' if it's an egg, while I'm checking their abdomen.

Keep an eye on her for a while though. Lash eggs are caused by an infection of the reproductive system and are literally your chicken passing balls of puss. An early infection will have the consistency of cottage cheese, while later stages will be firmer. She'll likely also have a fever. Chickens run hotter than humans, so compare to another chicken if you think she feels hot to know for sure.

If it does develop into lash, it's best treated with antibiotics, but it is possible for an otherwise healthy young hen to tank it with supportive care. My girl got through the worst of it while waiting for her appointment at the overbooked exotics vet.

Last edited:
Definitely up her calcium for a while and see if the eggs sort themselves out.

Egg binding can actually happen due to a lack of calcium as it is needed for muscle contractions too. I'd recommend getting some liquid calcium with vitamin d for your chicken first aid kit. If you suspect egg binding, direct dose with liquid calcium and put them in a warm dark quiet place where they can relax and get the job done. If they're used to baths, an Epson salt soak can help too a d they may just lay in the bath.

A few ways to 'know' if it's a stuck egg, feel 'squish' their abdomen to check for an egg. Compare with a healthy hen if you're unsure what is and isn't normal. Often, I find they'll do 'the breeding squat' if it's an egg, while I'm checking their abdomen.

Keep an eye on her for a while though. Lash eggs are caused by an infection of the reproductive system and are literally your chicken passing balls of puss. An early infection will have the consistency of cottage cheese, while later stages will be firmer. She'll likely also have a fever. Chickens run hotter than humans, so compare to another chicken if you think she feels hot to know for sure.

If it does develop into lash, it's best treated with antibiotics, but it is possible for an otherwise healthy young hen to tank it with supportive care. My girl got through the worst of it while waiting for her appointment at the overbooked exotics vet.
Thank you for all the info!! I will get her some liquid calcium and vitamin d. I baked & ground up some egg shells for her & she enjoyed them! Happy clucking and all. She went back outside with her friends and is snuggled up on her roost now. I will keep an eye on her :)

Thank you for all the info!! I will get her some liquid calcium and vitamin d. I baked & ground up some egg shells for her & she enjoyed them! Happy clucking and all. She went back outside with her friends and is snuggled up on her roost now. I will keep an eye on her :)
Cheers, liquid calcium with vit d should offer the quickest absorption, but calcium is calcium if you don't have it already on hand. Just nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom