1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency caramels help needed!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Qi Chicken, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I started my caramels yesterday and accidentally put in 4 cups of corn syrup rather than 2. I didn't have enough of the heavy cream to double the recipe so I put the whole pot in the fridge and got cream at the store today. Should I go ahead and double the rest of the ingredients or should I start over????? It's heating up right now! Should have posted yesterday!

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

try it, it should be fine. Worst case scenario freeze your mistake and use it as ice cream syrup or bananas foster or anything else that needs some caramel love.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    It worked out. Lost patience after an hour of stirring, with the double recipe the pot was full and couldn't turn up the heat much. Finally gave up at a soft ball. SHould have held out for the firm ball but they're ok! Thanks for the help though!

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

been there, done that [​IMG]

Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by