EMERGENCY!! CHICKEN WITH SEVERE SOUR CROP!

Catastrophic

Songster
Apr 1, 2021
Shawnee, Kansas
I have two death layers chickens and other the past few weeks I see they have been gagging and there stomachs are getting very big. I gave them some vegetable oil and a small massage. But I am very scared that they will die. I did a big investment in them and do not want them to die. Anything will be useful and to how to cure them.

I have two death layers chickens and other the past few weeks I see they have been gagging and there stomachs are getting very big. I gave them some vegetable oil and a small massage. But I am very scared that they will die. I did a big investment in them and do not want them to die. Anything will be useful and to how to cure them.
First of all, get some Monistat 7. Feed wetted chicken feed. Pictures would help.

@Wyorp Rock

I will for sure give pictures. I accidentally said sour when it is impacted. But I just massaged her and she threw up ALOT. Her stomach feels smaller but more advice what to do for tomorrow will help.

How old are they?
If you have 2 with the same symptoms - what have they been eating? Do they have grit available?

@cherrynberry has provided good information for treating the crop.

I regret to inform you that the hen sadly passed away a few hours ago due to choking. The rooster fortunately survived but the hen has sadly died. We did an autopsy on the body and found the hen was very impacted and would have died if it did not have surgery. Thanks for all the advice and tips because the rooster is good now.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know firsthand how sad it can be to lose a chicken. For the future, you can tilt the chicken, almost at a 90-degree angle (like upside down), and massage their crop. They will start vomiting. I have heard that the smell of the barf can tell you if it is a sour or impacted crop. Since chickens can't feel nausea and vomit on their own, you need to help them. Again, really sorry and hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom