Emergency egg bound? Infectious Bronchitis? Constipation??

MushroomFairy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2021
A friend called me today because her hen laid this egg and is acting lethargic. Her belly feels very watery and bloated. She isn't eating and drinking much but she is still doing it a little.We are treating her for the possibility of egg binding. We have fed Tums and coconut oil and she is currently being soaked in an epsoms salt bath. As she soaks occasionally a strong odorous smell is present. There is no noticable discharge from her nostrils but I am curious if we are thinking on the right direction. Could this be infectious bronchitis or something else? Thank you for any and all response.
IMG_20210117_155842_6.jpg
IMG_20210117_155834_3.jpg

I think you are doing the right thing with the warm ES soak, Tums and C. Oil. I'd keep her inside where it is warm, calm and dark, til she gets a good sleep or 2 and perks up. Doesn't look like the Salpingitis pics I've seen. That looks like a yolk which grew then passed thru a narrow passage, without spending time in its last stages in the uterus.

Is it a new layer or an older hen? Either way, She may have a couple more yolks in the line up, so it is Good that one is out of the way...and be sure she is hydrated and has oyster shell and a little grit in addition to Layer Feed. Calcium helps both shell formation and the muscle contractions. Mixing a tablespoon of yogurt into her feed may also help good bacteria defeat others which may be bothering her. Being in a dark space may slow or stop ovulation so her tubes can heal or finish developing, if she's young or a slow maturing large breed.

Try to get pics of her poo. With this out of the way, and fresh water, she should be able to do that. I wouldn't worry about the bronchitis unless there have been clear symptoms in the flock.

Try to get pics of her poo. With this out of the way, and fresh water, she should be able to do that. I wouldn't worry about the bronchitis unless there have been clear symptoms in the flock.
[/QUOTE]

Here's a poo picture. I think she is a Rhode Island Red.
image0000001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_155842_6.jpg
    IMG_20210117_155842_6.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom