EMERGENCY! egg bound!!!

Hello @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail & ALL of you who have been so helpful to me this first season with my quail!
I REALLY value & appreciate your feedback & answers to my questions. ❤️
First, just want to give you guys an update... Myrtle & the rest of the hens are all doing great. With the automatic misters & fan they are tolerating our 100+ degree weather well, (it was 110 degrees the other day!). 🥵
They are now on 1/3 Layer feed & 2/3 Organic Maintenance feed and I'm offering ground egg shells mixed with Oyster shell grit& a handful of white hulled sunflower seeds, (they go for it like it's chocolate cake!). :)
After her egg bound ordeal, I kept Myrtle tucked in darkness for a full week recuperating (as advised), the first day I put her back out in the Aviary she started laying again, I've been holding my breath, because she is still laying these gigantic eggs! ( I attached a pic so you can see how much lager they are compared to the other hens).
But so far she is doing perfectly fine, and its been a week she's been back with the rest. :yesss:
View attachment 3601538

But I have a little leak in my automatic (gravity) watering system; it has not been an issue so far as it was slight & gave them a cool place to lay in the damp sand. However, it has progressively gotten worse & is draining their 5 gallon bucket too fast, so I have to repair it, & plan to do it this Wednesday; because I'm going to lift the aviary off the base to do this, I'm going to give the aviary a good "going over" at the same time (add fresh sand etc). That means taking all my hens out for a few hours. My question is this.... can all 5 of my hens remain in a large dog carrier (24 x 17 inches... picture attached) for about 4 hours? I know that's cramped, but right now, I have nothing larger.
View attachment 3601532
I'd think they'd be fine for 4 hours in that carrier. I use a similar sized carrier for isolation, but short term should be fine. Obviously keep it in the shade with feed and water available. If you have a waterer that can attach to the door, that would help free up floor space. I use the ones at the below link, but have to use a zip tie, or two, because the included hanger is just a little too small for the gap in the wire:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP6PJ2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I feed white heart sunflower seeds to all my birds, everyday, 1 handful per pen....although I may stop doing that...it's getting rather expensive now!
I've seen you mention white heart sunflower seeds a few times, but I can't find anything by that name via internet search. Can you provide a link, please?

Hello @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail & ALL of you who have been so helpful to me this first season with my quail!
First, just want to give you guys an update... Myrtle & the rest of the hens are all doing great. With the automatic misters & fan they are tolerating our 100+ degree weather well, (it was 110 degrees the other day!). 🥵
They are now on 1/3 Layer feed & 2/3 Organic Maintenance feed and I'm offering ground egg shells mixed with Oyster shell grit& a handful of white hulled sunflower seeds, (they go for it like it's chocolate cake!). :)
After her egg bound ordeal, I kept Myrtle tucked in darkness for a full week recuperating (as advised), the first day I put her back out in the Aviary she started laying again, I've been holding my breath, because she is still laying these gigantic eggs! ( I attached a pic so you can see how much lager they are compared to the other hens).
But so far she is doing perfectly fine, and its been a week she's been back with the rest. :yesss:
View attachment 3601538

But I have a little leak in my automatic (gravity) watering system; it has not been an issue so far as it was slight & gave them a cool place to lay in the damp sand. However, it has progressively gotten worse & is draining their 5 gallon bucket too fast, so I have to repair it, & plan to do it this Wednesday; because I'm going to lift the aviary off the base to do this, I'm going to give the aviary a good "going over" at the same time (add fresh sand etc). That means taking all my hens out for a few hours. My question is this.... can all 5 of my hens remain in a large dog carrier (24 x 17 inches... picture attached) for about 4 hours? I know that's cramped, but right now, I have nothing larger.
View attachment 3601532
I'm glad to hear that she's doing well.

Your ladies will be fine in the carrier for a few hours.

I've seen you mention white heart sunflower seeds a few times, but I can't find anything by that name via internet search. Can you provide a link, please?
TSC sells them. Royal Wing Sunflower Hearts Wild Bird Food. 16% protein, 48% fat. Here a pic of the bag. Kinda expensive @ $16 /5lbs. but they are like "crack" to my birds! :drool they turn their beaks up to BOSS. :lau
20230806_185623.jpg
20230806_184955.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 3601538

View attachment 3601532
They will be fine for a few hours!

TSC sells them. Royal Wing Sunflower Hearts Wild Bird Food. 16% protein, 48% fat. Here a pic of the bag. Kinda expensive @ $16 /5lbs. but they are like "crack" to my birds! :drool they turn their beaks up to BOSS. :lau
View attachment 3601572View attachment 3601573
That's cheaper than what I'm paying for BFSL which mine love. Even though the seeds probably lack the calcium boost of the BFSL, I may pick up a bag the next time I'm at TSC to see what they think.
Thanks.

Because I have such a small flock, I just buy ACE Hardware's 8lb bag but @007Sean likely has a better source for large quantities.
SF.jpg

View attachment 3601538

View attachment 3601532
They will be fine for a few hours!

Back
Top Bottom