EMERGENCY! egg bound!!!

Pics
OMGod, Im despairing. Shes in real trouble, her insides are wrapped around the egg. Ive soaked her while using my fingers to gentle spread the opening where I can see some of the egg. She is allowing me and not fighting, and she is trying her hardest, wheezing now when she pushes. Im giving her a little break, in kennel with sugar water. Should I leave her to go get some Calcium citrate? How important is that?

OMGod, Im despairing. Shes in real trouble, her insides are wrapped around the egg. Ive soaked her while using my fingers to gentle spread the opening where I can see some of the egg. She is allowing me and not fighting, and she is trying her hardest, wheezing now when she pushes. Im giving her a little break, in kennel with sugar water. Should I leave her to go get some Calcium citrate? How important is that?
Egg bound is something that often happens due to lack of calcium or other issue. Calcium citrate is absorbed quickly into the system and might help her pass the egg.

If the warm bath is not helping, you might try gently applying some food grade oil to her vent to see if that helps her pass the egg.

I feel awful because as you seem to know, this is a very dangerous situation for her. Is a vet an option?

The egg is showing a little bit more than it was, but very little progress...
Will her membrane go back into her body IF she does manage to pass this??
egg bound 3.jpg

What exactly have you been feeding?

Ive texted the local breeder to see if he knows of a vet that deals with game birds, but he has not replied back, I doubt that he knows of one he sort of sees quail as "expendable", but they are my pets at this point!
They are on Layer feed that is high in Calcium & are on mostly sand.. The breeder I got her from (as an egg) breeds for very large eggs and her eggs are much larger than my other hens, but she is also the largest hen. She is my favorite hen, so sweet and social, Im panicking!

Ive texted the local breeder to see if he knows of a vet that deals with game birds, but he has not replied back, I doubt that he knows of one he sort of sees quail as "expendable", but they are my pets at this point!
They are on Layer feed that is high in Calcium & are on mostly sand.. The breeder I got her from (as an egg) breeds for very large eggs and her eggs are much larger than my other hens, but she is also the largest hen. She is my favorite hen, so sweet and social, Im panicking!
I'd leave her alone if I were you.
Messing with her can stress her which can make the situation worse.

Back
Top Bottom