Please Help! Quail in trouble

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
One of my Coturnix hens (Myrtle- she's 10-11 weeks old) is in real trouble... She is NOT egg bound, all 5 of my hens have been laying every single day, including today. If you just saw her nestled down you would think there was nothing wrong with her. But she was walking like a drunken sailor, having difficulty staying on her feet and sort of recklessly lunging herself around and stumbling. The other hens are fine.
I have now separated her from the rest, she is in a kennel in the house. I have looked her over and she is not wounded or even missing feathers, but when stressed from handling she started panting with beak open. I have given her a few drops of electrolyte solution...(1 cup water, 1 teas sugar, with pinch of salt & baking soda) & she has Poultry Vitamin "Drench" solution in her water source in the kennel, but I have not observed her eating or drinking yet..
If one of you amazing Quail experts could give me some guidance I would soooo appreciate it. This poor Quail has had roughest summer ever. 1st the Rooster injured her (he's GONE!), then she got terribly egg bound and she survived both disasters! Now THIS!
I'm hoping one of you folks that are so knowledgeable & have helped me before will see this.... @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail

One of my Coturnix hens (Myrtle- she's 10-11 weeks old) is in real trouble... She is NOT egg bound, all 5 of my hens have been laying every single day, including today. If you just saw her nestled down you would think there was nothing wrong with her. But she was walking like a drunken sailor, having difficulty staying on her feet and sort of recklessly lunging herself around and stumbling. The other hens are fine.
I have now separated her from the rest, she is in a kennel in the house. I have looked her over and she is not wounded or even missing feathers, but when stressed from handling she started panting with beak open. I have given her a few drops of electrolyte solution...(1 cup water, 1 teas sugar, with pinch of salt & baking soda) & she has Poultry Vitamin "Drench" solution in her water source in the kennel, but I have not observed her eating or drinking yet..
If one of you amazing Quail experts could give me some guidance I would soooo appreciate it. This poor Quail has had roughest summer ever. 1st the Rooster injured her (he's GONE!), then she got terribly egg bound and she survived both disasters! Now THIS!
I'm hoping one of you folks that are so knowledgeable & have helped me before will see this.... @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail
The symptoms sound like she hit her head on something the best thing you can do is the electrolytes and give her a couple of days on her own if she doesn’t get better after 2 days I would suggest culling but that is last resort. My guess is she flushed and hit her head pretty hard on something but she doesn’t seem to to bad please keep me updated and I can help anywhere necessary.

The symptoms sound like she hit her head on something the best thing you can do is the electrolytes and give her a couple of days on her own if she doesn’t get better after 2 days I would suggest culling but that is last resort. My guess is she flushed and hit her head pretty hard on something but she doesn’t seem to to bad please keep me updated and I can help anywhere necessary.
Thank you @Patiocoturnix!! I really appreciate the input. I hope she recovers But even though she has no obvious injury to her head, that sounds about right, because she is the one that startles easiest. If that's the issue, it likely happened while I was a work. Their aviary is a virtual fortress and there are no signs that a predator tried to get to them, but I know I have hawks that come around and also bobcat occasionally come in the yard when my dogs are not out there.

Since she does not seem to be drinking on her own, would you suggest I keep giving some electrolyte solution per dropper? If yes, how often and how much? I want to provide enough, but don't want to stress her too frequently.

Since she does not seem to be drinking on her own, would you suggest I keep giving some electrolyte solution per dropper? If yes, how often and how much? I want to provide enough, but don't want to stress her too frequently.
Does she allow you to hold her or does she try to fight? You could put a second waterer in her cage with electrolytes so she can chose.

I'd try giving her the Nutridrench with an eye dropper or syringe. If she'll let you hold her, that makes it a bit easier, but just holding the syringe near her beak with a drop pending on it will usually get them to take some. I'd give her as much as she's willing to take, then wait an hour or so and try again.

Edit to add: Although I'm flattered to have been included with @Nabiki and @007Sean , I've only been keeping quail for a little over a year. They're both much more knowledgeable than me.

Does she allow you to hold her or does she try to fight? You could put a second waterer in her cage with electrolytes so she can chose.
She does allow me to hold her, she tries to get away but weakly. She also vigorously shakes her head when I try to drip electrolyte solution into her beak. I keep trying, dont know how much she is actually getting down. She has both the electrolyte water and Poultry Drench water in the kennel with her.

I'd try giving her the Nutridrench with an eye dropper or syringe. If she'll let you hold her, that makes it a bit easier, but just holding the syringe near her beak with a drop pending on it will usually get them to take some. I'd give her as much as she's willing to take, then wait an hour or so and try again.

Edit to add: Although I'm flattered to have been included with @Nabiki and @007Sean , I've only been keeping quail for a little over a year. They're both much more knowledgeable than me.
OK, I will keep trying to get more into her; how concentrated would you mix the Nutridrench? I have it quite dilute, (1 TBS to pint).
I know you've mentioned you are fairly new to raising quail but you have provided great info. ALL of you on this forum have been an enormous help to me! These first 5 months with my quail have been filled with crisis & "drama" despite all my research, planning & attention to detail :idunno
I appreciate all of you folks that have given me advice!

OK, I will keep trying to get more into her; how concentrated would you mix the Nutridrench? I have it quite dilute, (1 TBS to pint).
I know you've mentioned you are fairly new to raising quail but you have provided great info. ALL of you on this forum have been an enormous help to me! These first 5 months with my quail have been filled with crisis & "drama" despite all my research, planning & attention to detail :idunno
I appreciate all of you folks that have given me advice!
I never actually measure the drench and just mix a splash of it with water in a small plastic cup then use a syringe to offer it to whatever bird I'm helping. A little of it goes a long way. Even the small amount I use still turns the water fairly dark.

The labeling says, "Drinking water dosage (oz./gal.): 4 oz./gal. for 1- to 4-day-olds, 2 oz./gal. for 5- to 14-day-olds, 1 oz./gal. for 2- to 4-week-olds, 1/2 oz./gal. for 4- to 6-week-olds, and 1/4 oz./gal. for 6 weeks and older."

That translates to about 1/2 TBS/gallon for a bird that's 10 - 11 weeks old. However, the highest label concentration amounts to 8 TBS/gallon, which is the equivalent of 1 TBS/pint. Any nutrients she can't use will likely be passed through and out in her poop. Speaking of which, does she seem to be pooping normally?

Back
Top Bottom