Please Help! Quail in trouble

Have you fed them any grains? or other treats? or just straight crumbles?
It does sound like she has hit her head but Ergot poisoning can present the same symptoms, and it may or may not affect the other birds in the same manner. It could be some other neurological issue, I'm not positive that's what is wrong though, I'm not a vet.

I agree with the others. It sounds like she hit her head. The Nutri-Drench will give her an energy boost to help her until she starts eating and drinking on her own. Unless you want to involve a vet, you're doing the right things. Keep her quiet, warm and supplied with food and water.

I'm not a vet, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also it's hard to say without being able to actually examine her. Post pictures when you get a chance.

I never actually measure the drench and just mix a splash of it with water in a small plastic cup then use a syringe to offer it to whatever bird I'm helping. A little of it goes a long way. Even the small amount I use still turns the water fairly dark.

The labeling says, "Drinking water dosage (oz./gal.): 4 oz./gal. for 1- to 4-day-olds, 2 oz./gal. for 5- to 14-day-olds, 1 oz./gal. for 2- to 4-week-olds, 1/2 oz./gal. for 4- to 6-week-olds, and 1/4 oz./gal. for 6 weeks and older."

That translates to about 1/2 TBS/gallon for a bird that's 10 - 11 weeks old. However, the highest label concentration amounts to 8 TBS/gallon, which is the equivalent of 1 TBS/pint. Any nutrients she can't use will likely be passed through and out in her poop. Speaking of which, does she seem to be pooping normally?
OK, good, thanks for that.
She seems to be only slightly better today, standing sometimes rather than nesting down, but she still has no balance & sways a bit when standing. And if she tries to walk about in the kennel she falls all over the place (literally tumbles over) & it takes her awhile to get herself stable again. 😢 Her poops look fine to me. Attached photos of her and her poop ...

Pic 1.jpg
Pic2.jpg

OK, good, thanks for that.
She seems to be only slightly better today, standing sometimes rather than nesting down, but she still has no balance & sways a bit when standing. And if she tries to walk about in the kennel she falls all over the place (literally tumbles over) & it takes her awhile to get herself stable again. 😢 Her poops look fine to me. Attached photos of her and her poop ...

View attachment 3636970View attachment 3636974
Are you providing her plain, fresh water in addition to the Nutri-Drench water?

Have you fed them any grains? or other treats? or just straight crumbles?
It does sound like she has hit her head but Ergot poisoning can present the same symptoms, and it may or may not affect the other birds in the same manner. It could be some other neurological issue, I'm not positive that's what is wrong though, I'm not a vet.
She has been getting 2/3 Nature's Best Organic All Flock game bird crumbles mixed with 1/3 Purina Layer feed crumbles. Every day they also get 1 TBLS Sunflower kennels ground up with egg shells & also fresh organic dandelion greens from my garden; both of which they love. Could Ergot poisoning come from the Sunflower Kernels??:idunno

Are you providing her plain, fresh water in addition to the Nutri-Drench water?
No... she has 2 water sources in with her; one with electrolytes and one with NutirDrench; but if it's better to offer plain, I will swap the electrolyte water for plain fresh water. :thumbsup

I agree with the others. It sounds like she hit her head. The Nutri-Drench will give her an energy boost to help her until she starts eating and drinking on her own. Unless you want to involve a vet, you're doing the right things. Keep her quiet, warm and supplied with food and water.

I'm not a vet, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also it's hard to say without being able to actually examine her. Post pictures when you get a chance.
Thank you @Nabiki, I appreciate your input. Sounds like I'm doing all I can, not planning to involve a vet. I'm assuming they would not advise anything more. She does not seem to be suffering and although she still has ZERO equilibrium, she seems to have a bit more energy today. Can you see the photos I attached with my reply to @CliftonQuail ?

I do have another question though; someone (not you folks) told me that you have to use caution in offering Calcium because giving them "too much" Calcium can result in something called "starve out". I have not been able to find anything that validates that. Do you all know what he's talking about? What is "Starve out" and how much calcium is "too much"?

I do have another question though; someone (not you folks) told me that you have to use caution in offering Calcium because giving them "too much" Calcium can result in something called "starve out". I have not been able to find anything that validates that. Do you all know what he's talking about? What is "Starve out" and how much calcium is "too much"?
If you’re not mixing with the food and it’s just on the side they will eat what they need and leave the rest alone. But I’ve never heard of “starve out” and have never had a problem with too little or to much calcium offering egg shells and oyster shells on the side.

If you’re not mixing with the food and it’s just on the side they will eat what they need and leave the rest alone. But I’ve never heard of “starve out” and have never had a problem with too little or to much calcium offering egg shells and oyster shells on the side.
OK, awesome! Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom