Please Help! Quail in trouble

Folks, this is an update & hoping for feedback....the good news is my Myrtle is eating & drinking on her own; her poops are numerous & normal. She has both Nutri-Drench & plain water in with her, but I've only observed her drinking the Nutri-Drench. I'm so thankful that shes drinking on her own because taking her out to administer it was totally stressing her out and set her back every time. It's odd because she used to allow me to handle her without a fuss.
But she still has ZERO balance & coordination, it's as if her equilibrium is permanently damaged. Most of the time she wedges herself between the wall of the kennel & the water dispenser because she cannot stay upright. (photo attached)
I'm beyond sad for her, there's no way she can go back in the aviary like this. I'm hoping you folks could give me your different opinions about how long you would allow for recovery?
Pic 3.jpg

Folks, this is an update & hoping for feedback....the good news is my Myrtle is eating & drinking on her own; her poops are numerous & normal. She has both Nutri-Drench & plain water in with her, but I've only observed her drinking the Nutri-Drench. I'm so thankful that shes drinking on her own because taking her out to administer it was totally stressing her out and set her back every time. It's odd because she used to allow me to handle her without a fuss.
But she still has ZERO balance & coordination, it's as if her equilibrium is permanently damaged. Most of the time she wedges herself between the wall of the kennel & the water dispenser because she cannot stay upright. (photo attached)
I'm beyond sad for her, there's no way she can go back in the aviary like this. I'm hoping you folks could give me your different opinions about how long you would allow for recovery?
View attachment 3637324
Since she is showing signs of recovering I would giver her another 5-7 days and if she continues upwards just allow it untill she stops or declines.

She has been getting 2/3 Nature's Best Organic All Flock game bird crumbles mixed with 1/3 Purina Layer feed crumbles. Every day they also get 1 TBLS Sunflower kennels ground up with egg shells & also fresh organic dandelion greens from my garden; both of which they love. Could Ergot poisoning come from the Sunflower Kernels??:idunno
Not as likely as rye, or wheat but it could happen. It would most likely occur from the feed that's being fed....lots of organic feeds use alot of grains! Manufacturers of feeds do not check the grain they buy from the farmer or the big farming conglomerates for anything other than moisture content....so alot of 'questionable' feed contents that are not necessarily on the analysis label.

View attachment 3637324
Nerve damage takes a long time to heal...if ever! It maybe one of those situations were you just have to give it alot of time! :idunno

Not as likely as rye, or wheat but it could happen. It would most likely occur from the feed that's being fed....lots of organic feeds use alot of grains! Manufacturers of feeds do not check the grain they buy from the farmer or the big farming conglomerates for anything other than moisture content....so alot of 'questionable' feed contents that are not necessarily on the analysis label.
That's awful... sort of like our human food supply, eh?
Well, what's a person to do? I thought I was buying premium feed :idunno
I don't remember for sure, but aren't you one that makes your own feed @007Sean?

Thank you guys... (@Nabiki, @Patiocoturnix & @007Sean) for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate the input. :thumbsup

I'm going to give her a week, she's a "tough cookie", and has already come through so much this summer, I don't want to give up on her ❤️
I'm inclined to believe that the theory of her flushing and suffering a head injury is correct. My other 4 hens are all perfectly fine and still laying :yesss:

I'm praying their feed is not the cause, but how would I know for sure? I just bought feed, I really hope I dont have to try to get them all on something else? :th
Thanks again folks!

Thank you guys... (@Nabiki, @Patiocoturnix & @007Sean) for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate the input. :thumbsup

I'm going to give her a week, she's a "tough cookie", and has already come through so much this summer, I don't want to give up on her ❤️
I'm inclined to believe that the theory of her flushing and suffering a head injury is correct. My other 4 hens are all perfectly fine and still laying :yesss:

I'm praying their feed is not the cause, but how would I know for sure? I just bought feed, I really hope I dont have to try to get them all on something else? :th
Thanks again folks!
I hope she gets better please keep us updated on her progress

Thanks again folks!
If you are concerned for the feed, it's not the brand you need to worry about so much as the individual bag for ergot poisoning. Your nose is one of the best tools for telling if the feed is good. You could also try emptying the bag and looking for any bits of mold or something that doesn't look right.

If all of your other birds are fine, it's more likely injury, but keep an eye on them, of course.

Back
Top Bottom