EMERGENCY! egg bound!!!

Whoops, that was sent in error...
The vet was able to get the egg out!!! ā¤šŸ™
They have Myrtle in an incubator resting.
However, the prolapsed vent keeps coming back out and they recommend "placing a couple stiches" the vet is going to discuss with me.
Sheesh... what do you guys think?

I should have put something in this photo for comparison! But this egg is HUGE! Much larger than any previous eggs she has laid! 20230722_200506.jpg

UPDATE: Avian Vet decided against placing stitch as this is not recommended for "frequent layers" like quail as there is not enough time to heal before next egg comes out & stitch could cause it to tear. Doing a "Dextrose wash" to help shrink the tissue, lubricate & hope for the best when the next egg is laid. šŸ¤žšŸ™
Vet said everything you all recommended was spot on & helped her to be able to pass the egg! THANK YOU! ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤
Vet did say that it was not a Calcium issue in this particular, just genetic, bred for large eggs & she laid one that was too big to pass.

UPDATE: Avian Vet decided against placing stitch as this is not recommended for "frequent layers" like quail as there is not enough time to heal before next egg comes out & stitch could cause it to tear. Doing a "Dextrose wash" to help shrink the tissue, lubricate & hope for the best when the next egg is laid. šŸ¤žšŸ™
Vet said everything you all recommended was spot on & helped her to be able to pass the egg! THANK YOU! ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤ā¤
Vet did say that it was not a Calcium issue in this particular, just genetic, bred for large eggs & she laid one that was too big to pass.
Happy to hear that she passed the egg.
If this egg is significantly larger than her normal eggs, it's probably a double yolk.
You said your feed was a layer feed with high calcium. What are the percentages of protein and calcium? It might help if you could post a picture of the guaranteed analysis tag so those who know what they're looking at can see the trace elements, too.

Yes, you are likely correct about the egg, she has laid a double yolk before, only it was not this big.
I will send pic of feed analysis when I get home, or in the morning. But it's a mix of Purina feeds; I mix 2 parts Game Bird Layer feed with one part Game Bird Starter feed.
According to local breeder that is ideal; but I would welcome you guys feedback.

Can you all give feedback about odds of recurrence. I'm concerned that this may happen again tomorrow of course, because she lays every day & since the vet believes its just genetics so there is nothing I can change. Does anyone have experience with this happening? and can I hope for full recovery of my hen?

Can you all give feedback about odds of recurrence. I'm concerned that this may happen again tomorrow of course, because she lays every day & since the vet believes its just genetics so there is nothing I can change. Does anyone have experience with this happening? and can I hope for full recovery of my hen?
I've had exactly one bird prolapse one time in the year+ that I've been raising coturnix. She wasn't egg bound though. I gave her vent an epsom salt bath and gently pushed everything back in. Then I fed her 1/2 of a calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D3 and crushed some more of those pills to sprinkle over the feed tray. I wish I'd thought to band her leg because the next day, I couldn't tell which bird had had trouble. That was several months ago and, so far, I haven't had a relapse.

I continue to provide calcium citrate and also add oyster shell. When I cook eggs, I dry the shells in the oven, then crush them and feed them back to the birds, too.

I've been using the Purina Game Bird Starter for my chicks up to about 6 weeks, then transitioning to NatureWise Flockshield which has 22% protein. Its calcium is a bit low so I continue to supplement for that. I discovered today that it's also a bit low in Lysine and Methionine. Now I have to figure out what to add to their diet to increase those nutrients.

I would suggest putting her in a dark area for a week or two. That will make her lay less frequently or even take a full break. That will give her time to heal.

She's a new layer, so double yolk and odd eggs may happen, but will happen much less frequently as she settles into her routine.

I'm glad to hear that the vet was able to help her!

Back
Top Bottom