Emergency- Epileptic chicken, fading fast

Hi everyone.
Well, our vet thinks that he became toxic from the buildup of the drug in his system. By the time we took him to the vet, he had gotten worse. He just wanted to sleep. They gave him dextrose and lactaded ringers solution, orally and in a subcutaneous injection. Here's his treatment plan:
1.5 ml dextrose orally over the course of the day
1.5 ml amoxicillin twice a day.
20 ml lactated ringers solution by mouth per day over the course of the day

A solution of 1/2 cup of baby oatmeal mixed with nutri-cal and with warm water over the course of the day, 20-40 ml.

Now he is extremely weak (he can barely hold up his head), but he can still swallow. If he can't swallow, I'll have to inject him.

They took his temperature. It was 97 Fahrenheit! Normal adult body temperature is 103-104. I think it is up a little now, but I'm not sure.

Sending positive thoughts your way. You are doing all you can for him.

I have a soft spot for central Washington. My daughter lived in Ellensburg for several years.

fl.gif
Praying for a complete recovery for your beloved little bird.
Good for you for taking him to the vet.
hugs.gif

"20 ml lactated ringers solution by mouth per day over the course of the day" ??

Hope you boy is doing better. Just curious regarding the lactated ringers solution.
I've have not heard of it given by mouth? only subq or intrav.

Thanks everyone. His condition hasn't changed.

pontoosuc, I'm not sure why our vet prescribed it orally, but it could have to do with the fact that even though I'm willing to give him injections, I'm inexperienced and it will be challenging. She must think that it will be as effective if given orally.

Well, It s 4:22 am here. Buckeye is alive, barely. His body temperature must be as low as yesterday, or lower. He's cold, so cold, to the touch. But he is breathing and swallowing. I gave him some warm water, but I don't think there is anything else to be done.

Back
Top Bottom