EMERGENCY!!!! Half hatched chick with PICS!

jutinus

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern Oregon

I had 17 chicks hatch yesterday, this one was peeping but never pipped, so I helped it........ I have helped chicks hatch before but this one still has lots of blood supply. It has been sitting like this for hours. he is the last to hatch! Can I help it the rest of the way out? Can't figure out how to get pic posted!!!

Last edited:
I am no expert, but when my quail eggs were peeping, and barely piping I did a search on this web site and found a thread that helped. Sorry i don't remember the name but try a search.

What I ended up doing was breaking the pip open more so the chick could breathe ensureing I had a hole in the membrane. I left them that way for a few hours and it didn't help. I had a humidity drop and the membrane was tough and dried out, so I tried desperate measure. I used tweezers and zipped the egg around where I thought the chick would do it. I read a thread that said moisten the membrane with warm water so it was easier to tear. I ended up shredding the shell off in a circle first, then tearing the membrane. If I saw any blood I put the chick back in incubator and left it for a while hoping it would do work on it's own. In my understanding, once the membrane is breached, the blood veins start to dry up but if you see blood it stop as they can bleed out. Eventually, I peeled them all in a zip circle and as I got close to 2/3 around they all were pushing and kicking, and once they pushed themselves out I laid them in the incubator, said a prayer and left them alone. Happy to say all six I helped out are happy and healthy and will be released tomorrow. Best of luck. It doesn't always turn out so well.

You think I should keep letting him hatch by self? How can he be so late to hatch? I am sure the other eggs are not viable as I never candled them and this is day 23. My first hatched at the end of day 20. He is still peeping, I took the other chicks out as they were stumbling all over him.

Keep the membrane moist and watch those blood vessels. They will begin to dry up only when the chick doesn't need them anymore. I'm willing to bet there is some unabsorbed yolk still in there. As long at the membrane stays moist, I think things will work out. You may still need to help him but wait until those vessels dry up.

Is he shrink wrapped now? I have never seen that many blood vessels before, all the others I helped were not full of blood vessels..... Do you think he is not ready? Has anyone ever seen one like this before?

Back
Top Bottom