Emergency!!! Hatched Chick may have Organs hanging out ???? Please help! (Graphic photo)

Flip_Flop_Flock

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
I am ending my hatch right now with just 5 eggs left. all pipped. I went out to the store and came home to loud crying in the incubator I opened it to see 3 new chicks. I went to pick them up, still mostly wet and wobbly legged (and yes I take chicks out to fluff after a few hours). But I noticed a large amount of blood in the incubator and the chick crying had this hanging out of him. I've been able to push the tissue back up in chicks before. This just looks different to me and I think his "belly button" is closing up already. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do or should do. I have him in the incubator right now in a clean tupper ware container with a wet paper towel to keep it from drying up. Please if anyone knows what is going on or if there's anything to be done for the chick?
Should I try pushing it back up in him? is it just the yolk sac? I've never had a chick with an unabsorded yolk sac. But from what I can see online those are all yellowish in color and this is just pink and red.

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
his organs are definitely hanging out his bum... Try pushing them in a little if he starts to scream, stop. Keep him eating and drinking. This can go away. If it doesn't, get bee venom. it reduces swelling, kills bacteria, and relieves pain. put this on his bum, it should help you be able to push the organs back in.

his organs are definitely hanging out his bum... Try pushing them in a little if he starts to scream, stop. Keep him eating and drinking. This can go away. If it doesn't, get bee venom. it reduces swelling, kills bacteria, and relieves pain. put this on his bum, it should help you be able to push the organs back in.
it's not coming out of his anus though. Does that matter? I know the picture doesn't show that very well, but it's where his yolk sac should have been. Also I've never heard of Bee Venom outside of well bees, what type of product is that?

Looks like unabsorbed yolk. Trying to push it in could rupture it, which could kill the chick. Just leave it be. Placing the chick in a shallow bowl will help limit its movement so that it doesn't end up worse. Apply an antibiotic ointment and hope and wait. It will either live or die at this point. Not much else can be done.

Looks like unabsorbed yolk. Trying to push it in could rupture it, which could kill the chick. Just leave it be. Placing the chick in a shallow bowl will help limit its movement so that it doesn't end up worse. Apply an antibiotic ointment and hope and wait. It will either live or die at this point. Not much else can be done.
Thank you, that's exactly what I did do, I also got a hold of a vet tech friend who agreed that it doesn't look like organs. So, I guess we will just wait.

Back
Top Bottom