emergency help!!!-dog had a stroke?

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
hi everyone,
i have a 15 yr old border collie named lady.she has always been in good health.about a month ago she was running out to see the horses and just fell over.she turned blue but did not make any seizure movements.i ran over to her and she got up,shook it off and was normal again.

this afternoon,same thing.we were going to feed the horses and i saw her go down by the fence.just fell over.this time she was blue with seizure movement.i couldn't get her up.i had to pick her up and put her on the wagon and pulled her back to the house.she is eating and drinking if i sit her up but she will not move her legs.she moves her head and makes facial expressions and will sit up sternal .if i pick her up ,she puts pressure on her front legs but will not move them.she does have feeling in them when i pinched all 4 legs.

i do have some prednisone here and that is all i can think to do right now.any of you ever had this happen?
does this sound like a stroke or heart attack?
we have a mobile vet and i am calling her in the morning but just wanted some other thoughts before the vet.i know she will say she is 15 and it maybe time.

here she is 1 week ago.she loves to ride.

thanks for any help.

To me, it sounds like a stroke, much more severe than the first one. I'm not sure if I would do anything with the pred...boy, that's a tough call. Can you call the vet tonight and get some guidance before she gets there tomorrow? I would give it a try..

the turning blue indicates a heart atttack, more likely than a stroke. A stoke doesn't usually affect the circulation, oxygenation, of the blood like that.
But a exam by the vet is in order to really find out what's going on.

No on the prednisone until the vet sees her..it could both be the wrong thing to do, and complicate his diagnosis.

Last edited:
thanks.
i haven't given her anything yet,that is all i have in their(pets) medicine chest that isn't antibiotics.
i have a call into her but she hasn't call back yet.

Dogs can and have turned blue just from seizures and stroke...it just depends on what area of the brain is affected. Yes, it does sound cardiac but the rest of the symptoms does not point to a cardiac episode.

thanks everyone.
nothing tonite,just wait till the vet gets here tomorrow.

if she is not over it by in the morning,i don't think there will be anything thing we can do.:(

Both the seizures and the loss of use of limbs are consistent with heart attack, as well. While they do not always occur with heart attack, they often do, and involved lack of oxygen to the brain during the interruption of blood circulation. But in either case, it doens't sound like a situation there's going to be anything that can be done for it. At 15 yrs, it isn't a surprising event...she's had a long life.

Dogs can and have turned blue just from seizures and stroke...it just depends on what area of the brain is affected. Yes, it does sound cardiac but the rest of the symptoms does not point to a cardiac episode.

Last edited:
well,i just went and checked on her before bed and she ate well and wagged her tail.she can see and tried to get to the food i put down.i picked her up shecan't stand on her own.i did the test where you bend their foot under and they are supposed to pick it back up and she doesn't.she can move them a little but not where she wants them to go.

sounds like it is going to be a tough day tomorrow. :(

Yes, it does. So sorry.
hit.gif

well,i just went and checked on her before bed and she ate well and wagged her tail.she can see and tried to get to the food i put down.i picked her up shecan't stand on her own.i did the test where you bend their foot under and they are supposed to pick it back up and she doesn't.she can move them a little but not where she wants them to go.
sounds like it is going to be a tough day tomorrow.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom