Sudden change in behaviour, my mum thinks shes dying or has had a stroke.

coolestchickens

Hatching
May 12, 2023
Im a teenager and new to these types of forums so excuse my mistakes in etiquette and correct names for things

My hen “Merlot” is ill. im from the UK. my chicken is 3 years old and her weight seems normal, maybe slightly on the smaller side but still healthy i think - no dramatic drop in weight. her breed is a sussex. and showing some signs she never has before

symptoms:
>she is often closing one eye
>she was hobbling slightly every couple of steps about an hour ago , but this has changed and she is no longer taking any steps. when i put her down in her isolation coop she wobbled so bad she fell over and just stayed on her side until i propped her back up
>her vent is pulsing
>she has white and light green liquid droppings
>shes shaking on and off
>refusing all her favourite foods and drink, she pecked at a peice of fruit once, and missed and didnt try again

symptoms have lasted around a day, as far as i know, any changes to them were noted next to the symptoms.

my mums theory originally was that she was egg bound, but we checked, no egg it seems.
i gave her a warm bath and massaged. ive kept her separate from the other 5 chickens since i noticed the severity of the new symptoms. shes been kept warm and safe since i bought her in which was 5 hours ago approximately.

other birds have no symptoms
and merlot has no physical signs of injury or trauma, just a very poopy bottom. (and the other symptoms i mentioned)

i will do anything in my power to help her but i cant get to a vet until tomorrow. which means she needs to survive 12 hours (through the night) so i want to try and treat her myself if i can, the best i can.

her housing situation is a coop, and her run is the whole length of my house, and when she gets let out to free roam its in the garden which is very big. she has gravel and grass and dirt and dust extracted shavings and hay. as far as i know, her and her friends are spoiled . i took her into isolation incase she has something spreadable or the others think shes weak and attack.

please help. anything is appreciated

Hi! Can you offer her raw yolk? I would also stuff a calcium citrate tablet onto her beak. Do you have unsulphured molasses? If you can dilute it in some water and get her to drink that will get some vitamins into her ss well as energy from the sweetness. Can you palpatate her belly to see if it's enlarged at all?

Im a teenager and new to these types of forums so excuse my mistakes in etiquette and correct names for things

My hen “Merlot” is ill. im from the UK. my chicken is 3 years old and her weight seems normal, maybe slightly on the smaller side but still healthy i think - no dramatic drop in weight. her breed is a sussex. and showing some signs she never has before

symptoms:
>she is often closing one eye
>she was hobbling slightly every couple of steps about an hour ago , but this has changed and she is no longer taking any steps. when i put her down in her isolation coop she wobbled so bad she fell over and just stayed on her side until i propped her back up
>her vent is pulsing
>she has white and light green liquid droppings
>shes shaking on and off
>refusing all her favourite foods and drink, she pecked at a peice of fruit once, and missed and didnt try again

symptoms have lasted around a day, as far as i know, any changes to them were noted next to the symptoms.

my mums theory originally was that she was egg bound, but we checked, no egg it seems.
i gave her a warm bath and massaged. ive kept her separate from the other 5 chickens since i noticed the severity of the new symptoms. shes been kept warm and safe since i bought her in which was 5 hours ago approximately.

other birds have no symptoms
and merlot has no physical signs of injury or trauma, just a very poopy bottom. (and the other symptoms i mentioned)

i will do anything in my power to help her but i cant get to a vet until tomorrow. which means she needs to survive 12 hours (through the night) so i want to try and treat her myself if i can, the best i can.

her housing situation is a coop, and her run is the whole length of my house, and when she gets let out to free roam its in the garden which is very big. she has gravel and grass and dirt and dust extracted shavings and hay. as far as i know, her and her friends are spoiled . i took her into isolation incase she has something spreadable or the others think shes weak and attack.

please help. anything is appreciated
now that i look she looks a little thin

Hi! Can you offer her raw yolk? I would also stuff a calcium citrate tablet onto her beak. Do you have unsulphured molasses? If you can dilute it in some water and get her to drink that will get some vitamins into her ss well as energy from the sweetness. Can you palpatate her belly to see if it's enlarged at all?
i put the yolk infront of her and she didnt eat it so i poured it to her beak and pet her and she started drinking it. which is good i think. i dont have vitamins ect, just household items, im trying my best with what i have. any more advice on foods i can try her on would be great, im going to the shop tomorrow to get her everything i can. if anyone could make me a UK friendly shopping list of vitamins that would also be epic.

i put the yolk infront of her and she didnt eat it so i poured it to her beak and pet her and she started drinking it. which is good i think. i dont have vitamins ect, just household items, im trying my best with what i have. any more advice on foods i can try her on would be great, im going to the shop tomorrow to get her everything i can. if anyone could make me a UK friendly shopping list of vitamins that would also be epic.
@Shadrach hi! Can you help? I seem to remember you're in UK?

I'm sorry. I really don't have any advice apart from take Merlot to a vet.
The light green poop might suggest a cancer or other organ failure but I could easily be wrong.
I just hope Merlot gets to see a compentent vet.

I would try to get her eating and drinking. Mix a little chicken feed in a lot of water to make it mushy, and offer some scrambled egg. She may be wobbly and weeks from not eating or drinking because she feels poorly. Hard to tell exactly which problem it could be, but reproductive infection, worms, or cancer could be possibilities. Have you added any birds recently from outside of your flock? Flubenvet is used in the UK for worming chickens.

Back
Top Bottom