EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE?!

Mammasloth

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2022
I have a golden comet that was fine for the longest time then out of nowhere stopped eating,barely drinks water,is loosing weight, and not laying. This is the second gc I have had this happen to. The first one refused everything this lil girl will eat grass, tries to eat feed but isn't getting better and I don't want to loose her. The rest of the flock is fine and not acting this way. Any ideas on what I should do and what it could be?

I have a golden comet that was fine for the longest time then out of nowhere stopped eating,barely drinks water,is loosing weight, and not laying. This is the second gc I have had this happen to. The first one refused everything this lil girl will eat grass, tries to eat feed but isn't getting better and I don't want to loose her. The rest of the flock is fine and not acting this way. Any ideas on what I should do and what it could be?
What do her droppings look like? How old is she?

My whole flock isn't a yr yet will be soon though and her droppings are dark with white in it and think I have to actually clean her tomorrow because it's all stuck to her rear end but no abnormal colors

What do her droppings look like? How old is she?
My whole flock isn't a yr yet will be soon though and her droppings are dark with white in it and think I have to actually clean her tomorrow because it's all stuck to her rear end but no abnormal colors
So at that age, and with her dropping ha loose enough to stick to her butt feathers my first thought would be coccidiosis. Do you have corrid? If not I would get that, first thing tomorrow, isolate her, and treat. I would start by using a dropper to get her to drink some of the water with medicine it it, over the first day. So she starts feeling better and will drink more on her own.

I would also get nutradrench, start with an emergency dose. And even things like canned cat food or the refrigerated dog food made from rice/pumpkin/chicken (yes I know, but it works) are great too boost the appetite and health of hens who are losing weight, and not eating due to coccidiosis.

So at that age, and with her dropping ha loose enough to stick to her butt feathers my first thought would be coccidiosis. Do you have corrid? If not I would get that, first thing tomorrow, isolate her, and treat. I would start by using a dropper to get her to drink some of the water with medicine it it, over the first day. So she starts feeling better and will drink more on her own.
I do not have corrid. She seemed to perk up a bit after I added some vitamin mix to their water but looks rough today. I will have to get some though

I would also get nutradrench, start with an emergency dose. And even things like canned cat food or the refrigerated dog food made from rice/pumpkin/chicken (yes I know, but it works) are great too boost the appetite and health of hens who are losing weight, and not eating due to coccidiosis.
Ok. She seems to do great when I have her in the greenhouse eating on grass but I will do that as well thank you. Will tuna fish work or is that a no no?

It's most likely an issue related to laying. Golden Comets are bred for high production. She may be egg bound,- but if she hasn't been laying at all lately -- then she may have experienced internal laying, which can in turn lead to a nasty infection, which is how many laying hens sadly come to an end, some stage/version of EYP which is egg yolk peritonitis.. Is there anything abnormal about her abdomen, i.e. is it hard/swollen/distended?

Corid won't hurt anything but given her age and everyone else being fine, coccidiosis is not high on my list of suspects.

How does her crop feel? Is it full? Flat? watery/squishy? Hard as a rock? Sour crop and/or slow crop could be at issue too. Many times though the digestive clues they give us are secondary to the real problem, it just happens to be the first thing we notice.

Whatever you can get her to eat and drink, great- scrambled egg works for a lot of my chickens, meal worms. Unless her crop is full - in which case no food until you get things moving- otherwise it's like shoving food down a clogged sink.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Back
Top Bottom