EMERGENCY!!! ***HELP*** Temp in Brinsea 20

JordanFamily

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Archie, MO
I just got my Brinsea 20 and need some help with the temp. It says you need to adjust the temp at first to make it perfect before you start to put eggs in... Well the thermometer they sent with it has the end of the thermometer right at the top where the fan is blowing out and it reads 102 and at the spot where the middle to lower part of the eggs would be it reads 97.... Should I go up on the temp or down???? Or leave it where it is? In the manual it says to keep the temp at 99.5 but does that mean 99.5 where they had placed the thermometer at the top under the fan???? Please anyone that can help!!! My babies are at RISK!!!!
sad.png

Relax. Temps can vary quite a bit for an extended time and you can still have a great hatch. I would lay the thermometer on top of the egg tray where you can see it and see what it says there. That's the place that you want the steady temp.

And what are eggs doing in an incubator that hasn't been running with steady temps and humidity for 24 hours??
big_smile.png
Just kidding of course!!

Quote:
There not in the bator yet... But I have to put them in asap because I'm on day 10 on a couple of very important eggs... They need to go in asap, and Brinsea is already closed so I can't call them... Isn't the temp supose to be the same everywhere in this bator? If anyone has this exact one and had good chick hatches could you please tell me where the temp should be measured, at the top where the thermometer is when you receive it or at egg level???? I see poeple on here that say they hatched with the temp right at 96.5... Is that read on the thermometer in the position you received it in or at egg level??? Please help asap....

My understanding is to set it back to factory settings you unplug it, wait a minute and plug it back in. That is what I would do. Then press the + and - button at the same time to bring up the temp, hum, alarms, etc. Then select temp and set it at 100.0 for now. It doesn't take long for them to come up to temp. The temp probably won't be exactly the same in all parts of the incubator but they are so small that it will probably be very close in most of the areas.

Wait about 15 minutes and see if your thermometer (lay it on the egg tray) read 100.0 It should. If it does, you can set the temp at whatever you want. Personally, I like to incubate a tad higher at around 100.

I checked and the instructions say that the temp setting from the factory may not be correct and may need to be reset. Just follow the instructions for getting to the menu and change the temp. Then wait at least 15 minutes...longer is better...to see if the temp stabilizes. It should with no problem.

Do you have the ECO 20 that is just the glass thermometer? If so, that's what I have. While I'm on my first hatch (so perhaps not qualified to offer any advice), I have had good luck so far with the development of my shipped eggs. I have set the temp (which required very little adjustments and once set, I didn't have to touch it again) according to the glass thermometer readings. My cheapo digital thermometer from walmart reads about a degree less than the glass one.

I have 3 pips now on day 21 with my shipped eggs so something is working right. Still, the same eggs under the broody have all hatched out by now. I, too, am wondering if I should've had the temp a smidgeon higher than 99.8 when using the glass thermometer.

Sorry..I probably didn't help much....

i am on my third hatch with the eco 20 and have moved my temp to 99.9 and lowered humidity for the first 18 days. will post on my results. 1st hatch 9 out of 15. 2nd hatch 4 out of 18. looking for a 70% hatch this time. i was getting 70% hatches with a little giant.

Quote:
Yes Mine only has the glass thermometer located on top just under the fan. Did you get your temp reading with the thermometer there? or did you move the thermomter closer to the eggs where it read 99.8???

Quote:
Which thermometer?

I run my Brinsea Octatagon 20 Eco's so that the glass thermometer at the top reads just over 100 degrees, because that's where my thermometers at egg level read 99.5. You want the thermometers at egg level to be correct - the temperature way up there at the top of the 'bator doesn't matter (I don't know why they put a thermometer there, of all places), it's the temperature at egg level that's important. Ideally, in a forced-air incubator, the temperature would be the same anywhere in the 'bator, but I've found that it's warmer up higher by the heating element/fan in the Octagon 20.

My first Octagon 20 Eco was running 2 degrees too low when I got it from the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom