*Emergency* *large* stinking* wound* PLEASE HELP!! Gave Her a Bath

Gave her a bath and it was Very encouraging
thumbsup.gif
we saw only 2 maggots and she looks much better than before
yippiechickie.gif
and we put Swat on her and we put her in a dog cage with vitamin and mineral water and a tub of Chicken Feed/Tomatoes/ Peach Yougert we put her in Half Shade Half Sun to get dry then we will put her in the Shade.

Last edited:
Is she bleeding? If not bleeding (though still iffy because unclear whether or not she has internal injuries) pain relief may be VERY welcome for her. 1 baby aspirin (81mg) crushed into one cup of drinking water. If she isn't readily drinking on her own, dunk little cut up pieces of her favorite fruits (mine like blueberries and grapes, amongst other things) in the aspirin water and hand feed the fruit. This may begin to take the edge off the pain and make her more inclined to eat and drink on her own. Fresh batch of aspirin water at least once daily.

Rescue remedy (Bach flower remedy) - drop or two in water may help with the stress of whatever she's been through.

Be careful about peroxide (kills good tissue). From here forward best to cleanse with 9 parts water/1 part betadine.

Given how large you describe the wound, it sounds like she needs oral or injectible antibiotics and the right antibioticin addition to topical neosporin. (If she is struggling and not bouncing back readily, a vet may be a big help in this case if thi sis possible......)
JJ

How's the hen doing??

Keep an eye on her, any fly eggs in the wound will continue to hatch out for the next couple days. Just keep with the saline rinse, and neosporin, and when/if you see any more maggots use the SWAT.

If she is outdoors, make sure that the flys are leaving her alone. The last thing you want is another round of all that fun. I have had to keep my in the basement cause the flys were so bad, and now I see that I am going to have an issue reintroducing her to the old flock.

Good Luck and God Bless

TNT

Ginger seems to be alot better this morning, eating and drinking More!, alert and active, and her wound is not Black.

I am so happy she looks better and is on the road to recovering!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy-Hens

When someone puts together a list of chicken medical emergency supplies, SWAT should be on that list!

Gave her another bath today and put neosporine on then SWAT.

She looks so much better and is doing norm. Chicken things again

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy-Hens

Last edited:
That's great news!
smile.png

It's amazing how well they seem to recover from flesh wounds, compared to infections and egg-problems. I love it when these threads have a happy ending!

I have read stories like this over and over. Then about 2 weeks ago one of my girls flew into the yard with my terriers (terrors). She got grabbed and ended up with a huge wound on her back. I scoured the search engine here and listened to all the fantastic advice. We cleaned that sucker and dressed it for the first week. She kept eating and drinking the whole time. After a week she was happy to be carried to the shade of a tree with food and water at hand. By the beginning of the second week she was limping around the barn. Resting on and off. Today she is once again a full-fledged member of her flock. So when these people on here say that these creatures have an amazing healing power....ya got that right! She still has a limp but it is getting better day by day. So great good luck with your girl. Sounds like you did a fantastic job.

Back
Top Bottom