EMERGENCY Measures in HIGH HEAT! Tips and important information

True story! ACV is a natural antibiotic and can help with heat stress. Unfortunately, it's expensive to buy. The good news is, it's simple and inexpensive to make at home! I just published a blog post with three different recipes for ACV with the mother here:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/make-raw-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-with.html

I just read last week in Chickens Magazine that the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy recommends adding 1 to 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water once or twice a week. It is supposed to help with cold or hot extremes by helping to regulate their metabolism. I read a little more about it online and it's supposed to be a natural coccidiostat, so it suppresses pathogens in the digestive tract and promotes a better immune response. So, I'm not sure how much it helps with heat, but it won't hurt. You can check out www.albc-usa.org and ChickensMagazine.com

ACV isn't that expensive to buy at a natural foods store...here in VA where I am it is only about $6 to $8 and lasts me a month or so.

As for the heat...I looked at our 10 day weather forecast for Culpeper, VA and Saturday it is suppose to get up to 105!!! I got teary eyed and had to walk outside as that scares the bejesus out of me for my poor chickens! I have two small battery operated fans going in their coop, all the doors and windows open for them, I take ice water and frozen water bottles out to them every 2 hours or so, they get elecrolytes in their water each day, give them cold water melon when we have it, put them on the pullet feed with the free choice oyster shells, water down their area they hang out in, and they still pant hard!! My poor older Buff Orpington roo Chief is having a time of the humidity and heat, his wings are spread and the tips almost touch the ground, he is panting hard but if I go to bring him in he runs away from me so I don't want to stress him by chasing him, so I keep a close eye on him and really hope for the best.

Anyone have any other hints than what were doing, as I am trying to convince my husband that getting a mister and putting it in their yard would be very beneficial, not harmful, as he thinks with the high humidity it would only make it worse, I don't know what else to do.

I have already lost 2 pullets I hand raised last week to a raccoon, who btw is no more, so between that and now the heat, I am emotionally drained and frantic. Silly I suppose but I really do love all of my chickens, as they give me so much pleasure.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-how-to-help-chickens-survive.htm

ACV isn't that expensive to buy at a natural foods store...here in VA where I am it is only about $6 to $8 and lasts me a month or so.

As for the heat...I looked at our 10 day weather forecast for Culpeper, VA and Saturday it is suppose to get up to 105!!! I got teary eyed and had to walk outside as that scares the bejesus out of me for my poor chickens! I have two small battery operated fans going in their coop, all the doors and windows open for them, I take ice water and frozen water bottles out to them every 2 hours or so, they get elecrolytes in their water each day, give them cold water melon when we have it, put them on the pullet feed with the free choice oyster shells, water down their area they hang out in, and they still pant hard!! My poor older Buff Orpington roo Chief is having a time of the humidity and heat, his wings are spread and the tips almost touch the ground, he is panting hard but if I go to bring him in he runs away from me so I don't want to stress him by chasing him, so I keep a close eye on him and really hope for the best.

Anyone have any other hints than what were doing, as I am trying to convince my husband that getting a mister and putting it in their yard would be very beneficial, not harmful, as he thinks with the high humidity it would only make it worse, I don't know what else to do.

I have already lost 2 pullets I hand raised last week to a raccoon, who btw is no more, so between that and now the heat, I am emotionally drained and frantic. Silly I suppose but I really do love all of my chickens, as they give me so much pleasure.

It's around 100 here close to the Texas coast as well. So far not as hot as last year but we did have one 107 degree day already. Here's one of the things I do that seems to work well:

Here's one of the ladies wading in it to cool off

The smaller pan works too. It doesn't have much in it here, it really needs a little more water in it. It's a utility mixing pan from the hardware store. Just put about 1 1/2 inches of water in there. It's not for drinking so much as wading in.

Great idea! I tried the kiddie pool with my chickens but they wanted NOTHING to do with it! LOL Whatever works, that's what I say!
It's around 100 here close to the Texas coast as well. So far not as hot as last year but we did have one 107 degree day already. Here's one of the things I do that seems to work well:

Here's one of the ladies wading in it to cool off

The smaller pan works too. It doesn't have much in it here, it really needs a little more water in it. It's a utility mixing pan from the hardware store. Just put about 1 1/2 inches of water in there. It's not for drinking so much as wading in.

Nice tips.
Its been in the 100's here in central Texas. I am very fortunate to have a huge HackBerry Tree where the entire flock can spend the day. I put frozen 1 gallon water jugs in the water and feed frozen treats, ie. watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, from time to time. I think one of the best things you can do for your birds during the heat is to leave them alone. Do not try to interact with them. Let them lay in the shade, drink cold water, and rest. This is what I do and I have not seen any signs of heat stress.

Nice tips.
Its been in the 100's here in central Texas. I am very fortunate to have a huge HackBerry Tree where the entire flock can spend the day. I put frozen 1 gallon water jugs in the water and feed frozen treats, ie. watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, from time to time. I think one of the best things you can do for your birds during the heat is to leave them alone. Do not try to interact with them. Let them lay in the shade, drink cold water, and rest. This is what I do and I have not seen any signs of heat stress.
Eggcellent point, ButchGood!

Back
Top Bottom