Emergency pantry items?

When I know there is a storm coming I run my bathtubs full of water for using in the commodes and to wash our faces etc. Know one mentioned to have a couple of loaves of bread frozen at all times. Then if the power is off there is sandwich material that taste fresh. I always double wrap it to keep it from drying out. You can also get the nuked milk to keep on hand for a long time that does not require you to reconstitute like canned milk does. You can buy things like chicken and dumplings just to warm up that is canned also.
If you do not have a gas stove, you can get a small camp stove and some bottles of gas for it. Just be sure to use it outside to prevent gas build up. No barbecueing indoors with charcoal please. Too many people die that way. Its carbon monoxide fumes. An odorless gas. You won't smell it. Be safe. Jean

Yes, Jean, I remember running the tubs and sinks full of water and filling up all available containers for drinking water when I lived out in the country. And my sister kept nails tapped in on the top framing of the two doors in her small living room so she could hang blankets up to keep the heat in generated from the fireplace. After a few ice storms you actually DO remember to go into storm prep mode. Teresa

Gas for the BBQ grill, you can grill a lot of the food that is thawing on you....Grilling is awesome in the winter time!
lol.png

Storm prep mode for us means Hurricane season.

I save plastic milk jugs...about 30 of them and fill them with water at the start of the season. I have a closet that has shelves that is designated to storing the empty jugs as well as the filled ones. It's enough to last until they get the water turned back on...it usually take about 3 to 4 days to get water back. But then you have to keep the jugs because you have to boil all the drinking water for about 3 weeks after the storm. I boil a couple of large pots out in the garage and then cool them and pour them up into the jugs. By the time we get water back we have been without a shower for 3 or 4 days and I can't tell you how happy you are to get to shower.

We have a gas stove hooked up in the garage...we cook out there to keep from heating up the house and usually don't lose the gas...if for some reason we do loose gas we still have the BBQ pit and a butane burner that we use to make fried turkeys with on Thanksgiving.

We have 8..5gallon gas cans and an electric generator. It's enough to keep the generator running for about a week and by then you can usually get gas. DH hooks the generator into the house so we can keep our fig and freezer running and use the lights and so on but it's not powerful enough to run the AC so that means we just sweat in 90° weather. It helps that we are able to run the ceiling fans.

It usually take about 2 weeks to get lights back but I think the power company is getting better at this because we got power back this year in a week and a half...We've had two hurricanes in the last 3 years...I guess practice makes perfect.

One big thing that is allways good to have extra on hand is toilet paper.
as I have a wood burner that I can cook on I dont need anything extra,also a propane stove that I can light with matches.
Oh a manual can opener cause electric ones wont work.hand cranked radio.Cards are allways good to have on hand helps pass the time....

Our best test of our pantry came during a huge rainstorm a few years back. While the storm itself was just mildly annoying, it caused flash-flooding that wiped out the big electricity tower that feeds in to our area. Our power was out for over a week. Since then we try to keep on hand...

Propane for the gas grill and small cans for the camping stove and tent heater.
Matches
Bottled water...not the small drink sized bottles...the big 5 gallon jugs
beef jerky
shelf stable sausages
coconut milk (I use this like regular milk)
plenty of coffee
a variety of soups
tuna
spaghetti sauce
canned veggies
tea
olive oil
vinegar
a few gallon jugs filled with water and frozen - great for emergency cooler ice or to keep the fridge from getting warm
extra food for the critters

We don't eat pasta, rice or dry cereal. If we lose power like that again, I just have to bbq as much of the meat as possible or just buy plenty of ice.

There isn't enough space to list all the stuff I keep stocked- we are 15 miles from the Atlantic, and overdue for a hurricane. And I grew up with yearly ice storms in central SC and Texas, so I know how it is- I remember cooking on a Sterno stove all too well!
The Gulf has had too many storms, they need a break and that makes us bullseye for another Hugo. Everyone here has had excellent lists, and all good cautions, too!

We did buy a generator, to keep 1 of 3 fridges going, and stockpiled gas to keep it running. Can't let the beer get hot!!
gig.gif

Every spring, I go on a multiple store shopping spree. Then, as winter comes in without a disaster, I start using the food supplies. So by spring the pantry is ready to be filled again. One thing I have learned- DON"T buy anything that you wouldn't ordinarily eat- if you don't eat it as an emergency, and you wouldn't eat it any other way, then it goes to waste. That's why I don't buy Spam anymore- we just won't eat it during normal times! The chickens and dogs like it though........
sickbyc.gif

I once went to a W*****t and envisioned us on a LONG camping trip- I ended up with all the stuff you'd need, plus a few extras. Like regular, cheapo cat litter. Take a 5 gallon bucket, line it with a plastic trash bag, and pour 2-3 cups of cat litter in the bottom. Put a toilet seat on top of the bucket. There's your emergency loo. Just make everyone tie up the bag, dispose of it and put in a fresh setup! It takes a lot of water to keep a regular toilet going, using up valuable water.
Remember to rotate that stock of food! And you never want to run out of toilet paper.
That's only the tip of the iceberg I've built, but I need to shut up! I'd go on forever......
duc.gif

Dang, I should learn to type!

Last edited:
Can't let the beer get hot!!

Since your priorities are clearly in order, you should do great in the event of an emergency
big_smile.png

I agree with the notion not to buy emergency foods that you would not eat even if there was no emergency. Now there is just myself and the pup to care for, so I bought some pull-tab canned fruits, ravioli, spaghetti, tuna, juice boxes, etc. to have on hand in case of winter ice storms here in North Carolina. In the winter I can keep foods cold by putting them in the unheated laundry room or on the front porch. When hurricane season rolls around, I can set up a grill to cook frozen meats and share with the neighbors. We had a block party years ago, pooling our thawed meats and other food items to share with the neighbors.

Remember to check on your older/single neighbors when the power is out - it is very much appreciated, even if they don't need your help.

Basically; store what you eat, eat what you store.

Rotate your stock.
Pest proof it.
Have a way to process it (cook, grind, open cans, etc.)
Have emergency lighting.
Have a way to stay warm (extra bedding, clothes, etc.)

Consider your basic needs and what it would take to meet them. What would you do if you lost all your utilities?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom