Hurricane Preparation

Tiny Farms and Brewing

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 23, 2017
North Carolina
Good morning all!

I am located I Raleigh NC and wanted to post about my preparation for Hurricane Florence to see if this helps anybody out!

The Coop:
My silkies are free range and have a extra large elevated coop to go into at night. This coop sits roughly 4.5' off the ground with small diameter wire fencing as its base so 80% of their droppings fall through. It is enclosed on three sides and the front is covered by medium diameter wire fencing with a wooden drop down gate/ramp. To prepare this coop I have used breathable heavy duty tarps secured tightly to the front so that it will stop 90% of the wind but still allow air flow. Most of the ventilation will come from below. I have added rosemary sprigs in the rafters and hung below to help assist in build up of ammonia odor not knowing how long they will have to be in there. I would put fans in for air flow but i think the storm will take care of that.

Water:
I have two 15 gallon hanging waters in the coop. One is fresh water and the other contains additives like probiotics, electrolytes, and oregano concentrate supplement.

Feed:
I have two 30lb hanging feeders with feed in them. I have also provided I free range poultry block in the coop for them. All of my feed are in food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels with locking ring lids.

Power:
I hatch my silkie eggs in an incubator and brood them with lamps. I have set up a portable generator that is connected to the breakers which control both. Both brooder and incubators are elevated to prevent flooding.

Back Ups:
I have set up a small room in the barn in case of flooding which can hold all the chickens and if they get wet will have a dry place to stay with a lamp if needed.

Emergency Medicine:
I have a full first aid kit in case of emergencies like this if any of my chickens become ill or sustain trauma. There are multiple threads on here that contain lists so which is where I got the ideas from!

I hope this helps others in preparation for the storm. Sorry I am just getting to it now. I have been a little preoccupied in my preparations. For all those being hit by this storm stay safe and good luck!

Thanks for your post! I’m in Winston Salem so my main concern is my yard flooding. I have 6 chickens in a coop where they can roost and 2 ducks that I think will be ok. I’m thinking of bringing my 5 sizzles into the garage because their temporary area (that is more permanent at this time due to money issues) has nowhere for them to get out of flood waters. If there is bad flooding I will bring the others in as well. I pray you and your flock stay safe!!

Probably best to bring all birds inside unless you have a safe area for them at least 4 feet off the ground, more in lower-lying areas. If you intend to stay, bring them in. If you intend to leave, take them with you if at all possible. You don't want to be wading out into filthy storm water during a flood to try and get your birds if their outside place turns out to not be safe.

Good morning all!

I am located I Raleigh NC and wanted to post about my preparation for Hurricane Florence to see if this helps anybody out!

The Coop:
My silkies are free range and have a extra large elevated coop to go into at night. This coop sits roughly 4.5' off the ground with small diameter wire fencing as its base so 80% of their droppings fall through. It is enclosed on three sides and the front is covered by medium diameter wire fencing with a wooden drop down gate/ramp. To prepare this coop I have used breathable heavy duty tarps secured tightly to the front so that it will stop 90% of the wind but still allow air flow. Most of the ventilation will come from below. I have added rosemary sprigs in the rafters and hung below to help assist in build up of ammonia odor not knowing how long they will have to be in there. I would put fans in for air flow but i think the storm will take care of that.

Water:
I have two 15 gallon hanging waters in the coop. One is fresh water and the other contains additives like probiotics, electrolytes, and oregano concentrate supplement.

Feed:
I have two 30lb hanging feeders with feed in them. I have also provided I free range poultry block in the coop for them. All of my feed are in food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels with locking ring lids.

Power:
I hatch my silkie eggs in an incubator and brood them with lamps. I have set up a portable generator that is connected to the breakers which control both. Both brooder and incubators are elevated to prevent flooding.

Back Ups:
I have set up a small room in the barn in case of flooding which can hold all the chickens and if they get wet will have a dry place to stay with a lamp if needed.

Emergency Medicine:
I have a full first aid kit in case of emergencies like this if any of my chickens become ill or sustain trauma. There are multiple threads on here that contain lists so which is where I got the ideas from!

I hope this helps others in preparation for the storm. Sorry I am just getting to it now. I have been a little preoccupied in my preparations. For all those being hit by this storm stay safe and good luck!
I live in Hobgood about 100 miles from you closer to coast. I have all my babies supplies and emergency supplies for the family. I have a large coop and hope they will be safe and secure. I have 21 newly hatched babies with 3 broodies. 1 has 11, 1 has 5 and 1 has 3 with more to hatch.

Good morning all!

Your prep is very well thought out. After the ruckus dies down, please update this and let us know what worked, what didn't and what you would add or do differently, and post it as an article. If (and when) it happens again, your plans may really help others prepare for a major storm.

In the meantime, please stay safe. Sending prayers your way.

Back
Top Bottom