Emergency - Peacock Starvation case

Zigida

Hatching
Jun 4, 2018
This is bird is about 17mo old. Have had him several weeks- originally would come over with other bird to eat. Realized about a week ago this bird is actually eating very little and with zero gusto compared to the other bird and birds in general. When I picked this bird up night before last to deworm him - liquid came out of his mouth. Poured that off and thought ok Sour crop. Picked this bird up last night to see if any fluid was back in the crop- there was no new fluid even though I had seen him drink in the morning. That was when I realized this bird is literally nothing but bones. Bones. A serious One (1) on the skinny scale. My vet here is not bird friendly and has suggested euthanizing any bird I have ever brought to him so I will do what I can with your help. The sour crop issue obviously is a problem - more so in that I can not just simply tube this bird. This bird has had unlimited flock and pheasant pellets, scratch grains, water etc so actual food being available was not the issue. I did pull the scratch grains out of the pen when I saw the crop fluid and left the pellets and water. I know sour crop rarely ever seems to have an easy fix and this is now an extreme starvation case as well. I do not feel anything in the crop, lumps, bumps, impaction etc but I am no pro...
So I guess my question is how do I get major calories into this bird with a sour crop, and or major parasite load or other possible causes.
I did not deworm this bird the other night when I saw the crop fluid nor in the few weeks i’ve Had him. He has seriously gone downhill in the last 24hours- seriously fluffed up with eyes closed and not perching although he is standing. He is aware and tries to stay within a few feet of my other peacock in the pen. ( just these 2 birds in 10 x10 stall in barn- dirt floor) No previous obvious sign of illness, no runny eyes , cough, sneeze, head shake or diarrhea. Now he is Not eating, fluffed feathers, crop liquid, emaciated, not perching. He was drinking a lot of water now he is drinking but not as much
Should I grind flock pellets, & dry cat food mix it into water and then strain The Particles back out and tube feed this broth? Tips on tube feeding a peacock? Can I feed dog/cat Nutrical ? Should I deworm?
Can I give sodium chloride 0.9 SQ? Antibiotics? Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin I have these on hand.
Suggestions in order of priority with dosages etc . He is literally starving himself so something is taking priority in his mind- should I ignore the sour crop to get some calories into him?

This is bird is about 17mo old. Have had him several weeks- originally would come over with other bird to eat. Realized about a week ago this bird is actually eating very little and with zero gusto compared to the other bird and birds in general. When I picked this bird up night before last to deworm him - liquid came out of his mouth. Poured that off and thought ok Sour crop. Picked this bird up last night to see if any fluid was back in the crop- there was no new fluid even though I had seen him drink in the morning. That was when I realized this bird is literally nothing but bones. Bones. A serious One (1) on the skinny scale. My vet here is not bird friendly and has suggested euthanizing any bird I have ever brought to him so I will do what I can with your help. The sour crop issue obviously is a problem - more so in that I can not just simply tube this bird. This bird has had unlimited flock and pheasant pellets, scratch grains, water etc so actual food being available was not the issue. I did pull the scratch grains out of the pen when I saw the crop fluid and left the pellets and water. I know sour crop rarely ever seems to have an easy fix and this is now an extreme starvation case as well. I do not feel anything in the crop, lumps, bumps, impaction etc but I am no pro...
So I guess my question is how do I get major calories into this bird with a sour crop, and or major parasite load or other possible causes.
I did not deworm this bird the other night when I saw the crop fluid nor in the few weeks i’ve Had him. He has seriously gone downhill in the last 24hours- seriously fluffed up with eyes closed and not perching although he is standing. He is aware and tries to stay within a few feet of my other peacock in the pen. ( just these 2 birds in 10 x10 stall in barn- dirt floor) No previous obvious sign of illness, no runny eyes , cough, sneeze, head shake or diarrhea. Now he is Not eating, fluffed feathers, crop liquid, emaciated, not perching. He was drinking a lot of water now he is drinking but not as much
Should I grind flock pellets, & dry cat food mix it into water and then strain The Particles back out and tube feed this broth? Tips on tube feeding a peacock? Can I feed dog/cat Nutrical ? Should I deworm?
Can I give sodium chloride 0.9 SQ? Antibiotics? Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin I have these on hand.
Suggestions in order of priority with dosages etc . He is literally starving himself so something is taking priority in his mind- should I ignore the sour crop to get some calories into him?
I'm sorry but I don't really know what to suggest. @casportpony has peahens so may be able to advise better.

Cannot base health on liquid coming out of crop when you pick them up. It's possible your hand expressed the contents of his crop unknowingly. Smelling his mouth is a better judge of 'sour crop'. You can massage the crop to determine if it's hard, soft, doughy etc., doing so at his bedtime to determine if it's full, and again first thing in the morning before being allowed access to food or water to ensure that it's emptying would be an excellent way to see if his crop is functioning properly.
Corid to treat for coccidiosis is strongly recommended as coccidia is present everywhere and in his poor health, could overwhelm his immune system. Absolutely nothing in the treatment will harm him and the cost is usually nominal. Separate this bird from your flock, but if at all possible, keep him in a look-but-don't-touch situation with the flock to help him maintain his pecking order (will make for easier reintroduction). In this way, you can more closely monitor his food and water intake, and determine HIS poop from others in the flock... Poop can often tell the story of your bird's health. If he's indeed starving, you can expect vivid green & runny. As for calories, AFTER you've examined his poop, you can offer a portion of his normal pellets with yogurt or eggs (cooked or raw, or even a can of sardines packed in oil (extra calories with benefits of extra amino acids) mashed into it, to make a soft (not soupy) porridge. Dairy isn't easily digested and will give him diarrhea, hence the reason to delay serving it until after you've examined his poop.

Thank you for your reply.
Did go out to purchase Corid- bird had already passed by my return ☹️

Back
Top Bottom