Emergency! Pecked down to bone

Lowrah

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
I have a chicken that had a manageable wound that was almost healed. I checked on her this morning and she was fine then just before dinner my husband noticed the flock was chasing her. I went out and grabbed her and the wound is now massive and down to the bone. It's a good 2-3 inches wide on her body right under the end of her right wing. There is bone showing and it's just a big hole. It's surprisingly not bleeding. I sprayed it with Vetericyn plus antimicrobial poultry care. I also sprayed it on gauze and lightly wrapped her so she doesn't peck at herself. I also have antibiotics coming. Is there anything else I can do for her or shouldn't be doing? This is the first time this has ever happened and I can't lose her. She is eating and drinking normally and is also in the house. Please help! We do not have any vets that will take chickens near us :(

Last edited:
Next time one of your chickens turns up with a small wound, cleanse it, spray Vetericyn on it, and then when it dries, paint Blu-kote on it each day so it's camouflaged and not attractive to the chickens as "raw meat".

Blu-kote isn't good for larger wounds because it dries out the tissue and large wounds must be kept moist with antibacterial ointment so new tissue can grow over it. When the wound closes over so all is left is a small wound, then Blu-kote it so the other chickens don't peck it.

Next time one of your chickens turns up with a small wound, cleanse it, spray Vetericyn on it, and then when it dries, paint Blu-kote on it each day so it's camouflaged and not attractive to the chickens as "raw meat".

Blu-kote isn't good for larger wounds because it dries out the tissue and large wounds must be kept moist with antibacterial ointment so new tissue can grow over it. When the wound closes over so all is left is a small wound, then Blu-kote it so the other chickens don't peck it.
That's what I did. I had just put more blu-kote on it this past Saturday. It was almost healed and I don't know if it was bothering her and she picked at it today after I checked it or what happened. Should I get antibacterial ointment too or is the Vetericyn ok?

Re-read the post. Look for where I talked about keeping a large wound moist with wound ointment to help new tissue growth. While Vetericyn does encourage tissue growth, it does dry, doing nothing to keep the wound moist.

Re-read the post. Look for where I talked about keeping a large wound moist with wound ointment to help new tissue growth. While Vetericyn does encourage tissue growth, it does dry, doing nothing to keep the wound moist.
Got it. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom