Emergency please help! My duck laid this odd looking mass of flesh this morning

Ghoulhunter

Hatching
May 18, 2022
What could it be? Is she ok? There was a teensy bit of blood that came out along with it. She has been less active as of late, and seems to be eating less but seems fine otherwise.
I have her isolated since this morning and she's still eating and drinking but not as much as she normally does. What should I do? Any input is much appreciated 😢

Attachments

• 20220518_091449.jpg
    20220518_091449.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220518_091421.jpg
    20220518_091421.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I know I still think putting her on an antibiotic would be a good idea. Sure couldn't hurt. Has she been laying soft shell eggs?
https://www.countryliving.com/life/kids-pets/a44315/chicken-lays-lash-egg-salpingitis/
I saw Tetracycline is one antibiotic that is used.
here is the link mentioning tetracycline
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
Is there any way I could get antibiotics without visiting a vet? Owning poultry as pets is illegal here and so of course it's near impossible for me to find a good avian vet that sees ducks neat here 😢
And yes she has been laying soft shelled eggs, not frequently though. Strangely enough however the last 2 eggs were soft shelled 😔
I feel like I failed her, I should've been more observant....
Why are pekins so notoriously hard to care for... 😢😢😢😢😢
I have another one that has a bumbleefoot right now besides the one that laid the lash egg
I feel so utterly overwhelmed

It's easy to overlook problems they hide things so well. I have a tiny OEGB that is 4 yrs old never been a good layer and when she does lay she lays softshell. I give her liquid Calcium gluconate for the soft shells. I have never seen her eat the oyster shell.
I have never had Pekins but many on here do and can reply on how they keep them, when these birds were developed it was mainly a meat bird and most likely was never thought of to be backyard pets. So health issues most were never even thought of.
Their weight for one thing I think attributes to getting bumble along with maybe what they walk on. But I have a hard time with the walk-on since I live in the mountains where rocks abound and have only had 1 duck with bumblefoot since starting with ducks in 2004. Not saying we shouldn't do all we can to prevent them from being on rough surfaces it's just I have no choice with mine I pick up rocks all the time the ground just produces more. You maybe able to get tetracycline at TSC or I'm sure you can order online another choice would be Baytril https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10 but most likely Tetracycline is on this website too.
Most of us have no access to an avian vet and have to be our own. That is why BYC is so important. We just do the best we can for our flock and sometimes that's is enough other times it isn't. Don't give up on your duck and don't beat yourself up. We are here to help and support you as much as we can. If you need help with the bumble alot of us have dealt with it too mine mostly with a few heavy breeds of chickens.
Just ask any questions and if I can't help I can tag others. :hugsBig hug your not alone!

Is there any way I could get antibiotics without visiting a vet? Owning poultry as pets is illegal here and so of course it's near impossible for me to find a good avian vet that sees ducks neat here 😢
And yes she has been laying soft shelled eggs, not frequently though. Strangely enough however the last 2 eggs were soft shelled 😔
I feel like I failed her, I should've been more observant....
Why are pekins so notoriously hard to care for... 😢😢😢😢😢
I have another one that has a bumbleefoot right now besides the one that laid the lash egg
I feel so utterly overwhelmed
Which city and state are you living in? There may be animal rehabbers who can give you support. We are not permitted to have backyard ducks where I live, but our local wildlife rehabber is in my neighborhood with ducklings in her house and ducks waitign return to the wild in her screened porch. I have two rescues living in my sunroom at the moment -- so you and your ducks are not the only ones living under the radar.

Miss Lydia has given you all the wisdom of years of duckkeeping. You must not beat yourself up or blame yourself: salpingitis in ducks is really well hidden [a bit like ovarian cancer in humans] once it is evident, it is advanced. That is the nature of the disease, not a result of your care. Get tetracycline from Tractor supply -- or on line -- and give her all yoru tender love and care. While she is active, she need not be isolated from her buddies -- lash egg/salpingitis is not catching.

Stay strong -- your fluffy girl needs yoU!

Back
Top Bottom