Emergency please help

Lucylu228

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
Hey everyone I would appreciate all the help

My chickens have been super happy all ranging from two years old to six months we have lost 6 chickens in less than two weeks one every other day all varying in ages and not all are related they are showing no signs at all until it’s to late we checked for mites nothing no rats nothing we can think off

Within two hours of them dying they sit down eyes shut (breathing normal) but their skin have turned yellow we fear it’s bird flu since hundreds of pheasant have been realised in our area for shooting we have no local chickens in the area for miles so please help I can’t keep watching my hens and cockerels pass away

Hey everyone I would appreciate all the help

My chickens have been super happy all ranging from two years old to six months we have lost 6 chickens in less than two weeks one every other day all varying in ages and not all are related they are showing no signs at all until it’s to late we checked for mites nothing no rats nothing we can think off

Within two hours of them dying they sit down eyes shut (breathing normal) but their skin have turned yellow we fear it’s bird flu since hundreds of pheasant have been realised in our area for shooting we have no local chickens in the area for miles so please help I can’t keep watching my hens and cockerels pass away
I am so sorry for your loss of chickens.

Honestly, if it were bird flu, there generally would be other symptoms, and from what I read, they can get purplish skin. Any discoloring of skin isn't instant and would be the least symptom if it were something like avian flu.

Yellow skin can come from aging too, but this doesn't make sense that yours are at most 2 years old. Other than that, some type of liver problem would be my guess, but that also has other symptoms.

There has to be either other symptoms, or they have mites and/or worms. Could you dust them with poultry dust or something anyway to be sure and if possible, get a fecal sample tested for worms?

This is very sad. Sorry about you losing some of your chickens. Any chance you can get a necropsy done on one of them? It is a hard guess to determine why they are dying with so little information. You can get online and find out where you can take a dead chicken for a necropsy. I am very fortunate to live near Texas A&M but I understand some people have to look around. It will be very helpful to find out what is happening to your flock so you can resolve whatever the issue is.

Back
Top Bottom