Emergency, Please, Please Help!

Anella

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Hello,

My mother has hatched ducks before & they were no problem at all. Now then, we had a chick (chicken) the other day (few days old now) he wasn't walking at all. He was just on his belly and moving along with his wings. Now then I read (On Here actually) after typing in the internet ''chick can't walk'' and found out about a thing called Spraddle leg... Now then we tied plaster around his legs, but when we came to change the plaster as it wasn't tight enough, I'm afraid to say we had an accident with the scissors.

Me & my mum were both panicking! We'd cut off the end of his little toe (claw) the small one on the side. NOT the three main ones. Now although we'd cuut it quite a bit, we have bandaged him up.

We're worried because he was bleeding quite a bit. Plus we dont know where to tie his legs for this straddle leg business!!

Poor thing, we just want to help him!

If he quit bleeding thats great news. As far as spraddle leg, I've always used bandaids as the 'gauze' in the middle is the perfect spacing for what he needs his legs to be and that wouldn't require him to have a top there...I am no too sure what method you used really, but maybe the bandaid will help???
Kristi

I don't know what to tell you as far as cutting part of his toe off. Just keep it clean. As for the splay legs. You could maybe use tooth-picks as splints, but be VERY careful so the ends don't poke his body. Good luck with this little guy.

all you can really do for the toe, is to clean it with betadine tea (diluted betadine).
keep a bandage on it, and keep food and water close by to rest the foot while it heals.
you can dab it with anti-biotic ointment, changing the bandage every day.
a stretchy self stick bandage, or stretchy band-aid could be used.

watch for any swelling or heat that could indicate infection.
the infection would most likely be staph, or possibly strept.
a suitable systemic antibiotic for ducks would be needed.
consult a vet, or possibly some one here can advise you.
also plain aspirin could help with any swelling from the injury, and discomfort..consult a vet for aspirin use with ducks.

* Aspirin for pain in chickens is added to the drinking water, Anella, o.k.??? NOT given directly by mouth into the bird. . . Didn't know if you knew that already or not, so thought it oughta be mentioned.
wink.png

Toes tend to bleed a lot. We've had two hens break nails to the quick. We dipped them in Blood Stop powder (always good to have around) and tried to keep them from using it until the clot could stick. Didn't really work.... The blood slows, but just try to keep a chicken from using her foot! We'd hold them for an hour or so until the blood stopped, but as soon as you let them go, even in a cage, they'd be using it... If you don;t have Blood Stop try corn starch. Better than nothing...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom