Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!! Salt was ATTACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awesomefowl, Dec 12, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] [​IMG] I foolishly let my chickens go unsupervised the whole afternoon, and
    My pet silkie, Salt, was attacked!!!! [​IMG] Her crest is half, gone, her head is all bloody and her eyes are infected (bubbly, swollen area around eyes)!!!! What can I do to get rid of the infection? I can't find any vets in our area that treat birds. (Southern Tier NY)

Please help!!!! [​IMG] Poor Salty! [​IMG] Its all my fault too! T. I. A.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Oh my! Do you know what attacked her? [​IMG] If there is somewhere you can get tylan 50 injectable I would try that. Sounds pretty bad. I am really sorry for your little Salt!

3. awesomefowl

We suspect this brazen 'possum that lives in the backyard. We are trapping him now, so we can shoot him. [​IMG]
    Where can you buy tylan 50? Is it an intramuscular injection? Thanks!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry too, hope you can get her some antibiotic, but hopefully you've washed all her wounds out good. It is intermuscular thats the quickest way to get it into her, keep us posted

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I bought my Tylan 50 at my local TSC. It is injected at a ratio of .27cc per 1# weight of chicken. Also get some vitamins/electrolytes in Salts water.

An opossum in the daytime seems unlikely...possible you have a neighbor cat lurking around??

6. awesomefowl

I doubt it. Our opossum hangs around all day.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Hopefully she'll be fine. Did you get any bleeding stopped? Are you keeping her in a warm area so her body can focus on healing itself rather than heating itself?? Good luck, and I hope you can find some antibiotics.

8. awesomefowl

Update: Salt is doing OK. (s)He CROWED!!!! So he is a boy???? What a surprise!
    I got needles from TSC, but they didn't have Tylan. I will have to check in Agway. Thanks to all who posted!

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've heard, it's rare though, that a hen can crow.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I had one that tried, before I had mature roos. It wasn't a very good imitation....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by