Emergency tips to keep the chicks warm!!!

wings

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Massachusetts
This is our first winter with our flock, and we are experiencing below freezing temperatures. The coop is insulated, the chickens have tons of roosting space, and we have a red light on, but the coop is still getting to 13 degrees at night! HELP!!!
fl.gif
idunno.gif

Are they uncomfortable? ...are their feathers totally fluffed up, or smooth for instance.

That may not be too cold for them, though it is awfully cold. If there's no drafts or dampness they may be fairly comfortable, but that's for you to decide. Tons of roosting space may mean too much roosting space, if they have a more enclosed area to roost in, they can conserve heat better.

hi...my husband had to run to walmart last night for a heater...we had 4 heat lamps in there and it still was below freezing in the coop.....the heater brought it up to the 40's in the coop....and one of my girls combs has frostbite!
sad.png

Quote:
They went out to their yard and pecked at stuff for a little bit, but then they went back into their coop.

Their feathers are mostly fluffed, but when they went out to their yard, they were smooth as normal.

When I mean they have tons of roosting space, I didn't mean it that way. I meant they have the amount they should have (10 inches per bird, right?)

Their coop is pretty small, so I don't have to worry about that...

If they are used to the temps they will be just fine. I don't have any heat at all in my coop and it's been down to -8 this winter and I don't have any problems other than with some of my roosters getting frostbite on their combs. The hens are ok because they tend not to get the combs and wattles in the water when they drink and they can tuck their heads easier when they sleep.

Quote:
What are you doing to treat the frostbite? Are you having any problems with it???

i am putting bag balm on it for now....the black is starting to peel off and its white underneath it....
sad.png
...its been brutal cold here!

I have a heat lamp for extreme cold and my temp in the coop was -4 at the lowest yesterday and I have 3 mo. old chicks and older hens. They all were fine. I was worried also and this is my first winter with the chickens. My neighbor told me that they can take the cold just not the wind. Draft free coop is very important. Chickens have feathers and they are warm so I wouldn't worry so much. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom