Emergency Volunteers: Firefighters, EMT's, First Responders

My aunt is my chief, also on scene, and she said that she's been to a lot of pt funerals, and everyone has been grateful for her concern. We're going together tomorrow afternoon, and I'll follow her lead. She stayed on scene while I transported, so maybe she got aquainted with them as well.

It is your call.

Only thing I can tell you is if you start having trouble sleeping, nightmares, night sweats and flash backs get into counseling quickly. I saw a counselor who did eye movement therapty. Everyone i have talked to in the EMS field who has also done it agrees that it really helps.

I spent 25 years as a fire fighter and paramedic in a city of 140,000 and retired as a captain. During that period I saw just about every type of tragedy that could befall people. I worked very hard to be very proficent and provide the highest level of care possible. Many of the runs were extremely difficult and I would have been very easy to become emotionally involved. I watched many of my co-workers experience emotional problems because of having become too involved in the tragedy. I made it a rule constantly remind myself that I have performed to the best of my ability and that the patient's situation was better because of my involvement. However, once my shift was over I would try to not think about what had occurred. I think once you get in the habit of checking on the progress of a patient, or attending funerals, you are opening yourself up to to much emotional baggage. It's admirable to care, but don't allow that caring to injure yourself. Best wishes.

I have to agree with Opa. It is tragic for a boy of that age being killed so early in his life. I have been a firefighter/Paramedic for 16 years and it does take a emotional toll on you. It is good to care for those that you treat, But having said that you have to cut it off at some point. Going to the funeral is opening yourself a bit too much emotional baggage that you reallly dont need and can affect how your next call is handled. Find solice in knowing that you did all that you could and leave it at that. Taking part in a critical incident stress debriefing can really help you deal with those types of calls. Good luck in your decision and your career.

Last edited:
I also agree w/ the two previous posters, you seriously need to ask at your service for a stress debriefing, and/ or if there is someone you respect (your partner maybe) in the field, maybe talk to them about it.

You will burn out long before your time if you take your "calls home w/ you". During the call do your best to make a difference, sometimes that is saving a life, sometimes it is making the pt more comfortable, sometimes it is providing a hearing ear for your pt, sometimes it is providing emotional support (at the time of the call) for the family, sometimes there is nothing you can do for the pt at all. Once your shift is over you need to leave the emotional baggage of that shift at work, everyone has different ways of doing this, you need to learn what works for you. Pedi calls are the worst that's for sure.

I personally have never attended a funeral of a pt, can't think of anything that would make me want to do that in the future, but I believe in never say never. After especially stressfull shifts I go out by myself and take pics of beauty and nature, this works for me, not saying that will work for you but you do need to find something like that, that has NOTHING to do w/ fire or ems, but that helps you to de stress.

I wish you the best, it will get better.
hugs.gif

Catwalk,

Death is a reality of what we do.

To not let the death of someone bother me, I hope with all that
I am that I never get that calloused inside. At the same time, I
know that we did all we could do. Gave it all that we had.

You can't afford the baggage you're looking for in taking each death
personally. That can destroy you in the end. Break you. And then--the
day you stop--how many lifes will be lost because you aren't there any
more to save them?

When you go on a call, you don't know the details. One thing you had better
know is that your life is in the hands of each member of the team. And their
life, is in your hands.

When the call comes, you have got to be ready with everything you've got.
Lay it on the line, and then reach down and bring it all.

Sometimes even that isn't enough.

As a team, we've saved lifes. And we've lost a few along the way.

Including a brother firefighter, in a house fire.

I remember them all. Each and every one. But those are memories that I don't
dwell on.

That doesn't mean I don't care, or that I've forgotten. Not one life was lost that
I didn't cry inside.

And I remember. I know each one of here have those memories we wish we didn't
have.

You want to honor this man lost?

Honor him best by being there to save the next life. And the many lifes you save
from this day forward. To do that, you have to be prepared.

Spook

I am a former deputy sheriff of 8 years and currently a ff/emt for 5 years. I have seen most everything. I cope by praying and lifting the burdon to the Lord. It is amazing how much he can take.

Everyone is right, and thank you for your advice. I fell apart while meeting up with the other EMT's before headed to the funeral home, and they took me to a counselor instead. I don't know if it helped, but the result of my behavior is that my observers have lost faith in me. I am out of service until further. They want me to go on runs as a ride-along without pt contact until they are convinced that I can control myself. I'm sure I'll be okay, but I have some work to do to redeem myself. More counselling is in my future, I believe. Thanks again for your advice.

You may want to think about filtering your calls. I lost many good people over the years because they didn't filter there calls an ran the ones they couldn't handle. I would rather have someone runs 50% of the calls an be there for years than someone try to run everything an burns there self out in a year. Better for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom