EMERGENCY! - Young rooster had his scalp pecked off!

Well, little Jorge made it through the night. He has been taking in water and Gatorade, but no food yet. I even tried scrambled eggs. I am going to try and clean up the wound a little more today.

Glad to hear! He's probably in some shock still. Gatorade and water are good.

Ok, so an update. Saturday my daughter and I were looking him over and decided it looked like his eye was ok on the left side, undamaged. I used some warm water and an eye dropper to squirt water on that eye to help wash it off. After 3 or 4 squirts he opened his eye on his own. I think it was justglued shut with dried blood or something. That helped a bunch because then he could eat and drink on his own. Sunday morning I inspected him and to my horror it the wound area looked GREEN! I cleaned it up with some gauze trying to get the green off. I went to the pharmacy and got some iodine. I had read to dilute this, but considering what I was up against I put it on full strength. I did this twice on Sunday, the second time being right before bed where I cleaned it up with the iodine and then once that dried I put on neosporin for the night. This morning there is a knot on his head that seems to have gotten larger. I am very concerned this is infected. I cleaned off the neosporin with gauze, then cleaned the area with iodine and left that to dry. My wife went to TSC and bought some Duramycin-10 and put that in his water.

So, my questions. Is full strength iodine bad, should I really be diluting it? Will the Duramycin help with any internal infection from this wound? Any other suggestions?

Chicken skin is green looking when there is bruising. Sounds like you are doing a great job for him, and he should heal up fine!

Well, this green comes off, so I don't really think it is bruising. In 3 years of chicken keeping this is my first real injury. I am really wondering if the Duramycin will help, IF there is an infeciton in the blood stream?

I had to treat a very large open wound on a silkies foot.... the tendons were exposed and everything. My vet told me to use polysporin and to soak in an epsom salt bath to draw the infection out. I realize this may be hard since it's the poor dears head. Something that freaked me out was that in the healing process or her trying to form new skin she started to develop this big yellowish thick film over the wound. I was sure it was the infection taking over, but the vet said it normally does that while the wound is repairing itself. Maybe thats it? The picture shows the early stage of what im talking about, the strip right up the middle

I had to treat a very large open wound on a silkies foot.... the tendons were exposed and everything. My vet told me to use polysporin and to soak in an epsom salt bath to draw the infection out. I realize this may be hard since it's the poor dears head. Something that freaked me out was that in the healing process or her trying to form new skin she started to develop this big yellowish thick film over the wound. I was sure it was the infection taking over, but the vet said it normally does that while the wound is repairing itself. Maybe thats it? The picture shows the early stage of what im talking about, the strip right up the middle

Wow! I sure hope you are right. Your description sounds kind of like what I am seeing. Did your vet say to leave that alone? Also still looking for opinions of the Duramycin. Is that going to help with infections from a wound? Also anyone know if using un-diluted iodine is a good or bad thing? I am heading home from work in just a bit and can then check on him. I may also post a pic, although it's really gross. My daughter can't stand to even look at it. She had to hold him this morning for my wife and I could hear her in the background (on the phone with DW) saying "pretty rainbows.....pretty rainbows!".

Hello Moetrout, Just found your thread and hope your roo is well. 3 days ago, I had the same thing happen to my 6 week old chick who flew over the 4 ft divider fence between the chicks and hens. When I found her, her scalp was gone. Horrifying, but I think the hens thought she was a stranger/predator. Based on all I have read here, I cleaned her up at various times with soap & water, bactine, iodine, and hydrogen peroxide. Then I would add the neosporin. I did make her an electrolyte solution (found here) and gave her antibiotic in her water. I had her in towels, but yesterday moved her to a tub with pine shavings, waterer, feeder and mirror (so she wouldn't be lonely) so her environment would not be so alien. The one thing she has been eating is chick feed mixed with lactobacillus (whey from yogurt) and molasses. This was a special treat when she had pasty butt. I have also added Rescue Remedy, putting a drop on her beak. I was interested to read that the yellow/green on her head might be the healing process - I have been trying to scrub it off, but causing more bleeding (and peeping!). She is living in the tub in an extra bathtub for now, although I take her out to visit her sisters everyday for a couple minutes. Their reaction is strange. All is quiet, they gather to the gate to look at her, then go about their business. She just stands there or maybe scratches a bit.

If you have the time, I would love to hear an update on your little roo. What worked for you?

And if anyone else wants to chime in, I would love to hear anyone's experiences with Bach Flower remedies and chickens. Today I started putting some Rock Rose in the water of the chick, the other chicks and the hens. This is suppose to help relieve the terror experienced by all who heard or saw the attack. Wishing all the best to you and your little roo.

Back
Top Bottom