!!EMERGENCY!!

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
I have a three year old barred rock who has severe swelling in her abdomen, shhe can't walk, she was trembling, she's slouching to the side and one of her legs is back. She's drooping one wing down, but her neck is fine. Skin is a weird magentaish color (probably red but shadows showed magenta) she's alert but went down fast. It was a mere few minutes and she was on the ground. She's inside right now, but before going down she lifted both wings, she's breathing quiet heavily. Is there anything I can do for her? And are my other chickens at risk?

Sorry about your hen. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? It does sound like she might have ascites or water belly, which is seen in liver disease secondary to cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, or internal laying,and also can happen with heart failure. Her dropping wings, lameness, and leg position sound neurological, possibly like Mareks or an injury. Has she laid eggs recently? I would try to get her drinking some water and some feed mixed with water and cooked egg. Tuna and canned cat food are other things to try and get her eating. Make sure that she can reach food and water.

Back
Top Bottom